Roland MS-1 - Distorted samples

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
REEEsampler

Roland MS-1 - Distorted samples

Post by REEEsampler » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:54 am

I recently got a MS1 (BIOS v1.10, if that’s relevant) that mostly works fine, except sometimes it’s recordings end up heavily distorted and loud. Everything seems fine during monitoring, but I’ve learned the hard way to remove my headphones when beginning playback.

When it starts acting like this it doesn’t matter whether you record to internal memory or a card, nor whether or not a card is in the slot.

The only fix I’ve found is to power the unit off and on again (sometimes couple of times).

This does not seem to have anything to do with input signal nor gain settings, since when rebooted I can record clean samples on the exact same settings with the same signal coming in.

If people here have any idea what’s going on, I’d greatly appreciate any help.

timbob

Re: Roland MS-1 - Distorted samples

Post by timbob » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:52 am

REEEsampler wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:54 am
I recently got a MS1 (BIOS v1.10, if that’s relevant) that mostly works fine, except sometimes it’s recordings end up heavily distorted and loud. Everything seems fine during monitoring, but I’ve learned the hard way to remove my headphones when beginning playback.

When it starts acting like this it doesn’t matter whether you record to internal memory or a card, nor whether or not a card is in the slot.

The only fix I’ve found is to power the unit off and on again (sometimes couple of times).

This does not seem to have anything to do with input signal nor gain settings, since when rebooted I can record clean samples on the exact same settings with the same signal coming in.

If people here have any idea what’s going on, I’d greatly appreciate any help.
I haven't had this problem with my unit, but maybe we can narrow the problem down a bit :)

You say you can fix it by turning the power off and on again. Does that fix the samples that are already recorded or does that only help with the new recordings. As in: once the sample is recorded and distorted, it stays that way?

Did you try using another power supply? It might be a bit wonky.

of course you could try and update the BIOS, although it does sound more of like a hardware problem. But you never know. If you do want to try and update the BIOS, be sure and read the other thread in this forum about the update.

You mentioned headphones, is it only distorted on the headphones, or also on the line out.

I think your best bets are (in order of easy fixability) a power supply issue, maybe possibly perhaps a bios update, or it could be faulty capacitors, in which case you might have to do some soldering.

REEEsampler

Re: Roland MS-1 - Distorted samples

Post by REEEsampler » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:07 pm

Hi timbob, and thanks for your helpful reply.

1. The distortion is baked into the recordings. Once the unit is back up running as it should, previously distorted samples remain distorted.

2. I happen to have another Boss psa power supply, but the problem pops up no matter which one I use. Neither give me any problems when powering my dr202 drum machine or guitar pedals.

3. The risk and hassle of updating the BIOS, and the low probability of that solving anything, makes me hesitant to explore that option just yet :)

4. It doesn’t matter whether or not headphones are connected.

So this is looking more and more like failing component(s), right?

I must add that I don’t remember this problem ever occurring midsession. Either the sampler works properly from the moment it is fired up or it’s messed up from the start and stays that way - even if I leave it on for some time before coming back to it.