Akai MPC60: Upgrade or Replace?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro One, Analog Keys, Prophet 5, MPC60, TR606, RD8, St. Vincent Guitar, Bluesbreaker amp

Akai MPC60: Upgrade or Replace?

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:27 pm

Hey all, I am at a point where I am considering either replacing it with something newer, MPC Live w/ CV or Isla SP2400 possibly, or to update my MPC60 with SD (or whatever is most modern option). Other than using floppies, the MPC60 does most of what I need. Obviously, a bigger screen with more detail could be nice, but I quite like the limited workflow. If I update to an SD reader, how would I go about migrating the 100~ floppies I have projects on? Also, does anyone have a recommended SD reader for the MPC60 MK1? I am assuming installation is easy enough I could do it. Thanks!

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Akai MPC60: Upgrade or Replace?

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:15 pm

Take a look over at the HxC forums.

Also try PMing member Hideaway Studio (Dan) as he has done such mods for the S612 and can probably give you some advice.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:32 am

sequentialsoftshock wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:27 pm
Other than using floppies, the MPC60 does most of what I need.
What aspect of using floppies bothers you? I am asking because a floppy emulator will not help you that much, other than eliminate the need for a physical diskette. Assuming you upgrade to a floppy emulator, the capacity of each disk will still be limited, as will the loading speed. The difference is that instead of having a shoe box full of 3.5" disks, you just have a bunch of disk image files on a USB (or SD card, depending).

A true upgrade to your workflow would be to use SCSI, but that will be expensive and more complicated. If you don't already have SCSI in the MPC then you will have to add a SCSI interface, potentially update the ROMs to v3.10, and also buy SCSI2SD.

Floppy emulator is certainly easier and cheaper, but aside from the improved reliability of not using physical disks and not having to carry around a box of 3.5" disks with you, then you won't be upgrading, per se.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro One, Analog Keys, Prophet 5, MPC60, TR606, RD8, St. Vincent Guitar, Bluesbreaker amp

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:28 pm

Rasputin wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:32 am
Other than using floppies, the MPC60 does most of what I need.
What aspect of using floppies bothers you? I am asking because a floppy emulator will not help you that much, other than eliminate the need for a physical diskette. Assuming you upgrade to a floppy emulator, the capacity of each disk will still be limited, as will the loading speed. The difference is that instead of having a shoe box full of 3.5" disks, you just have a bunch of disk image files on a USB (or SD card, depending).

A true upgrade to your workflow would be to use SCSI, but that will be expensive and more complicated. If you don't already have SCSI in the MPC then you will have to add a SCSI interface, potentially update the ROMs to v3.10, and also buy SCSI2SD.

Floppy emulator is certainly easier and cheaper, but aside from the improved reliability of not using physical disks and not having to carry around a box of 3.5" disks with you, then you won't be upgrading, per se.
Primarily the scarcity of floppy disks and the lack of reliability. I have had several disks corrupt on me - it could be my drive, but I am not 100% certain. I don't think the loading time bothers me too much. I've got 3.15 ROM's in; I am not certain, but I believe I would need to install SCSI. I purchased it with V2.xx rom, so I doubt there's a SCSI Board.

paugui

Post by paugui » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:09 am

Hey all, I am at a point where I am considering either replacing it with something newer, MPC Live w/ CV or Isla SP2400 possibly, or to update my MPC60 with SD (or whatever is most modern option). Other than using floppies, the MPC60 does most of what I need. Obviously, a bigger screen with more detail could be nice, but I quite like the limited workflow. If I update to an SD reader, how would I go about migrating the 100~ floppies I have projects on? Also, does anyone have a recommended SD reader for the MPC60 MK1? I am assuming installation is easy enough I could do it. Thanks!
It's definitely a complicated choice...

On one hand, the Akai MPC60 is a classic machine, seems to sound amazing!
I never tried one, but I definitely love the sound of my Akai S950, which I think should be pretty similar!

On the other hand, both the Akai MPC60s and Akai S950s are getting really expensive, to the point that you can easily get a decent alternative to it and still have cash left...
However, if you regret giving up on your Akai MPC60, you'll likely won't have an easy to get it back for a reasonable price...

I don't have experience with any of the two alternatives you mention, but recently got a Pioneer Toraiz SP-16 and am really happy with it!
It kinda feels like a cross between an Elektron Digitakt and an Akai MPC Live, and it sounds pretty good, so if you enjoy more a sequencer like the one in the Roland TRs, it can be a great choice!

Those two, Akai MPC Live and ISLA S2400, despite being more expensive, should still cost much less than what you'd be able to get for your Akai MPC60...

If you are actually considering giving up on it, maybe the Akai MPC60 doesn't feel that essential to you, and maybe it could indeed be good option to consider those alternatives!

And considering my experience with the Pioneer Toraiz SP-16, I can tell you that the workflow you get from newer machines, when it comes to organize samples, really makes things much easier...