S2800 sampling input trouble. help (resolved)

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

S2800 sampling input trouble. help (resolved)

Postby part12studios » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:21 am

Hi everyone,

So I've had some ups and downs with an Akai S2800. I got it for free (high).. but scsi card was bad (low).. got it fixed for $15 (high) and now i'm experiencing this (low)

Watch on youtube.com

it seems that it has this kind of digital clipping sound. I'm thinking this isn't something you clean with deoxit, but maybe, just maybe someone has seen something like this before. If so I'd love to know if there is any advice on a simple way to fix it.

worst case, it can load S1000 and other older generation patches and that could be "a thing" but basically it becomes a slow loading rompler.. I'd really like to make this thing be a real sampler that can sample again.

Thanks!
Caleb
Last edited by part12studios on Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
part12studios

S2800 users out there, please help (sanity check!)

Postby part12studios » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:40 pm

doing some more investigation (and now with the official printed manual!) I feel more and more convinced that this is ruined. Check the new video I made

Watch on youtube.com

I feel like the input chip/something is intermittent and poorly intermittent at that.. I have another video above showing how it would sound when it did sample.. without the manual i could make no assumptions about what should happen or what steps were necessary to get a sample to record.. but now that i've gone through the manual I see that really it should "just work" in the Sample 2 page..

can anyone with an Akai S series sampler (even if not 2800) validate that going into that sample page.. monitoring should just be on under normal a normal behaving machine? I know it's not identical to other models, but looking at others, they are more similar than different.

Thanks,
Caleb
part12studios

Re: S2800 users out there, please help (sanity check!)

Postby Tekhed66 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:12 am

Hi Caleb
I had an Akai s3200xl and the steps you took appear correct. The digital distortion in your first video indicate a problem of sorts 8-/

I'm thinking of how you might be able to narrow in to where the problem is. Have you tried sampling by another method? I used to record samples via the 3200's SP/DIF input and completely bypass the microphone input. I'm unfamiliar with the s2800 but if you can get a clean signal (no digital clipping) via SP/DIF (assuming your sampler has one), it might mean the problem could just be at the microphone input.

Everything else about your sampler looks as if it's OK... it might be a simple repair... are you thinking of getting a tech to have a look at it?

Good luck!
Tekhed66

Gear: Roland JD-990
Roland JD-800
Roland XV-5080
Roland SH-01A
Kurzweil K2000
Yamaha An1x
Korg Triton Rack
Korg M1
Korg Radias
Korg Volca Beats
Akai s5000
Band: The Creepy Uncles

Re: S2800 sampling input trouble. help (sanity check)

Postby part12studios » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:56 am

how would i record with SP/DIF? is that an analog in or (what i assume) is some kind of digital input. I do have that card.. not the smpte one. it has several 1/4" and optical inputs.

I haven't had a tech look at it yet. I might have something around that supports optical and i also think i have some cables somewhere that should let me hook it up. That is a great suggestion. I hadn't considered that. I will try that and report back.

Also as fate would have it.. I came across this listing.. http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Akai-S2800-In-Ou ... 2318421072? it's THE board where the issue is 99% likely to happen. for $30 (including shipping) I felt it was worth the gamble. I'm still going to explore the SP/DIF capability in the meantime..

I just disassembled that entire section of the S2800 to make sure everything was seated and looked healthy and clean (it was visibly fine)..

the fact that the unit plays fine https://youtu.be/Qrazt9t1jBM makes me feel the issue is isolated to the input card.. but it is most certainly a roll of the dice to see if it really fixes it or not.. but i know any tech around here who would even know akai hardware would easily cost me $100 or more.. so I figure bringing this baby back is on me.
part12studios

Postby Rasputin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:29 pm

part12studios wrote:how would i record with SP/DIF? is that an analog in or (what i assume) is some kind of digital input. I do have that card.. not the smpte one. it has several 1/4" and optical inputs.

SPDIF is basically two-channel digital audio over RCA (two conductor copper coax) or TOSLink (optical). How easy it is depends on if you have anything with SPDIF out, and if it is the same type (either RCA or optical) connector as the digital input you're recording to.

A lot of audio interfaces will have one or both. Note: Some optical jacks on audio interfaces can be toggled between either ADAT multichannel or SPDIF, so you might need to check that mode selection.
Rasputin

Postby ninja6485 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:35 pm

Sp/dif is a type of digital input. You need to play a sound from something with an sp/dif out, like a sound card, or a synth such as the access virus ti. If you go into the sample section of the sampler, where the input says analog, you can scroll over to it and change it to digital, wich will show up on the display. You will then be monitoring. And able to sample from the digital (sp/dif) input. The sp/Dif cable is just an RCA cable. I use one side of a stereo RCA cable I got with an old turntable. Good luck!

FWIW, some Akais do get a type of hissing problem, which may be associated with the motherboard. Searching other forums might give you some info about this situation. I have not yet listened to your video
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby part12studios » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:51 pm

Ok cool yea I know I have a few things that might support it but at this point I'm probably just going to leave it.. I think my K2500R with KDFX has some digital outs.. maybe even optical.. and i think the mini disk player I have also has optical out... I'm going to have to test it out soon, but probably just going to wait till the new part arrives in the mail to open it up and get it setup for testing. I'll definitely report back! :)
part12studios

Re: S2800 sampling input trouble. help (resolved)

Postby part12studios » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:51 pm

So just an FYI, that replacement card did the trick. I'm sure whatever was wrong in the sampler part of the lower card was just some $0.02 piece of hardware that was wrong with it, but given the expertise it would have taken to find and replace that part $30 repair worked out well even if it was a bit of a gamble.

Thanks so much for everyones input and confirmation.
part12studios

Postby Tekhed66 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:42 am

part12studios wrote:So just an FYI, that replacement card did the trick. I'm sure whatever was wrong in the sampler part of the lower card was just some $0.02 piece of hardware that was wrong with it, but given the expertise it would have taken to find and replace that part $30 repair worked out well even if it was a bit of a gamble.

Thanks so much for everyones input and confirmation.

Ya just gotta love a happy ending ....

It's always good when you can diagnose and fix the problem yourself (and way, way cheaper too...) ... hopefully that will be the last of the gremlins for a while.
Tekhed66

Gear: Roland JD-990
Roland JD-800
Roland XV-5080
Roland SH-01A
Kurzweil K2000
Yamaha An1x
Korg Triton Rack
Korg M1
Korg Radias
Korg Volca Beats
Akai s5000
Band: The Creepy Uncles

Postby part12studios » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:45 pm

yep the only b***h i have about it now is that the screen is showing it's age.. i know they make replacement$ for it on ebay, but the cost and possible work involved has me hesitant to take the dive into that part of it.. but for now it's still legible enough to be useful.. backlight isn't totally dead but probably about 40-50% of the brightens you would expect from a new screen.
part12studios

Return to Samplers