Mirage OS Disk

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Mirage OS Disk

Postby fuckJuly » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:02 pm

hi y'all, first time poster

just grabbed a Mirage for a very reasonable price, but without any disks. naturally, I now need an OS-disk to get this thing up and running, but I can't seem to find an a) image that works with DiskWrite under Win2000 b) documentation on how mdsik works and c) a way to get mwrite to write to my disk. now, this could go down to a variety of reasons; the only type of floppies I currently have are 2HD 1440K disks, so even tho I formatted them to 720K, this might be a problem. also, I use Win2k with a random floppy drive built into the the HP OmniBook XE3 I run it on. and then again, we're dealing with obsolete, mostly poory documented software (and obviously hardware).

so if any one of you knows where to get an image that works and how to flash it to a 2HD disk, please HMU, don't really feel like spending £15+ for a disk on ebay.

cheers and thx
fuckJuly

Re: Mirage OS Disk

Postby Rasputin » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:37 pm

Technically, the Mirage uses only single-sided disks, so you're way over shooting with the 1.44 MB disk. You can work around that by putting some electrical tape (or whatever) over the square hole that doesn't have the write-protect slider.

Ideally, you'd want to use true 720K DD disks as the Mirage will happily only access one side of those.

mdisk doesn't format the disk before it writes to it, so you must have a 720K **MIRAGE** formatted disk, not DOS formatted disk.

To format a disk with mdisk: mdisk format
To write an image with mdisk: mdisk restore -i os32 (or whatever image you're attempting).

And for anyone looking for mdisk and all the basic images needed to create an operating system floppies, or the formatting disks: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3OQk ... FlsOUZvMW8
Rasputin

Postby Baus » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:30 pm

Another option is to actually spend the money and get the Soundprocess OS Disk and PDF Manual at Syntaur.

This OS will turn your Mirage into a 4 Oscillator synth that is 16 parts Multitimbral.

Look for Ensoniq Mirage with Soundprocess OS on Youtube and you'll find some video's that a guy from the Netherlands made with this OS.

I do suggest, just like Rasputin, to use DSDD disks for the Mirage. There is a supplier in the UK that I contacted about 8 months ago that was selling new disks for a very good price.

Robin
Baus

Postby Hyde » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:11 pm

f**k wrote:hi y'all, first time poster

just grabbed a Mirage for a very reasonable price, but without any disks. naturally, I now need an OS-disk to get this thing up and running, but I can't seem to find an a) image that works with DiskWrite under Win2000 b) documentation on how mdsik works and c) a way to get mwrite to write to my disk. now, this could go down to a variety of reasons; the only type of floppies I currently have are 2HD 1440K disks, so even tho I formatted them to 720K, this might be a problem. also, I use Win2k with a random floppy drive built into the the HP OmniBook XE3 I run it on. and then again, we're dealing with obsolete, mostly poory documented software (and obviously hardware).

so if any one of you knows where to get an image that works and how to flash it to a 2HD disk, please HMU, don't really feel like spending £15+ for a disk on ebay.

cheers and thx

Just buy the OS disk & the formatting disk. You'll likely have two NEW copies that will keep you in business for a long time.
Makin' Noises
Hyde

Gear: Ensoniq Mirage-EPS-EPS16-ASR10
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000
Band: Pindrive

Return to Samplers