Korg ES-1 "Glitch"

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Alsolcru

Korg ES-1 "Glitch"

Post by Alsolcru » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:27 pm

Hello to all,

I´m very in the vintage gadget and in the DIY world. I have a set with some old instruments and a DIY Modular Synth in 5U.

This message it´s related of my new old ES-1 and the question is:

When I record a new sample and then reproduce it, at the beginning of the sample I listen a clear "Glitch". I don't know if it's the correct word but it's a issue when the very begining of the piece of audio don't start just at 0dB and instead the signal it's outside of the rest value. That mean, the audio start non from zero amplitude and this cause a noise. If someone are familiar with the wave signal shape in the audio processor software know what I'm talking about.

I cover the user and service manual of the ES-1 and I cannot find some cause. Even in internet.

I change the power supply from 600 mA to 1800 mA in case was a weak power source but the issue still.

The next procedure will be reload the firmware but before I want to listen some opinion of someone with more experience about.

Thanks for read this lines and for whatever help or clue!

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Eps16 | An1x | Minikorg700s | Monologue | Maxikorg | Bs2 | Ultranova | Dw8k | Poly61 | Paia9700s | Circuit | Sh01a | Circuit MonoStation | PreenFM2
Band: Variar

Re: Korg ES-1 "Glitch"

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:26 pm

So fine tuning the Start time until it's a cleaner beginning should fix that, or edit your samples on the computer and dump them with the smartmedia card.

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:41 am

I owned an ES-1 Back In The Day (still have my ER-1 and EA-1). Never remembered this "glitch." Of course, I never sampled via the analog input,it's always a transfer from the computer via SM card.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:23 pm

I'm not totally sure I understand the OP, but I think the "glitch" is probably an issue with pops at points that aren't zero crossings of the wave. As far as I remember, the ES-1 has some issues when trying to work with fade in, fade out, and trimming to zero crossings. I don't remember it being particularly capable in those regards.

If you want the character of the sampler input then it's best to sample, transfer to CF, edit the sample on the computer, then copy back to CF.

Edit: SmartMedia, not CompactFlash, of course.
Last edited by Rasputin on Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

groy

Post by groy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:25 pm

Jabberwalky wrote: fine tuning the Start time until it's a cleaner beginning should fix that
If you haven't done this already, this is the place to start with your trouble shooting. You can pitch the sample down so it comes in slow, then edit the start location until you no longer hear a pop.