Akai S612 Quik Disk Drive Grounding Cable Purpose?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Akai S612 Quik Disk Drive Grounding Cable Purpose?

Postby part12studios » Sun May 14, 2017 12:56 am

Hi everyone,

So I noticed that the shifty looking grounding cable from the Quik Disk drive (the one that is secured with a screw like a ground of a turntable) is like only 3-4 fibers of cable left.. before it detaches completely.

I just wondered if it's something that might hurt the machine if it ever severed. I wonder if the threads left are even enough to matter.. ultimately I need to fix it, but I just wondered if I really need to as it means I gotta open up the cartridge thingy and frankly I don't want to

I figure maybe it might introduce some kind of hum perhaps? Of course I'm also worried that it might be harming the S612 if I leave it as is.

Thanks,
Caleb
part12studios

Re: Akai S612 Quik Disk Drive Grounding Cable Purpose?

Postby synthroom » Thu May 18, 2017 9:17 pm

Hi Caleb -

My first sampler was an Akai S-612 with the MD-280 drive - got it in about 1990 or so. The ground strap on mine was frayed a bit like yours, except mine was next to the chassis of the drive. I had lots of bad reads/writes to the drive. I took it in and the service guy grabbed his soldering iron and connected both sides of the frayed cable with a big blob of solder. That fixed all the issues I was having.

I'd try the same "repair" on your and you shouldn't have to worry about it.
Kirk
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.
synthroom

Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Return to Samplers