Simmons SDX Sample Libraries?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Simmons SDX Sample Libraries?

Postby desmond » Tue May 30, 2017 9:21 pm

Has anyone come across any of the Simmons SDX sample libraries, whether the factory library, or anything?

Along with some more generic stuff, they had kits sampled and compiled by people like Bill Bruford, Steve Levine and Graham Broad. It would be great to hear what the factory library supplied with the hugely expensive SDX sounded like (it was the Fairlight of the electronic drum world)...

More info:
http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/the-big-bang/3544
http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/simmons-sdx/1082

It seems that a CD is "available":
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Simmons-SDX-Dru ... 2523689960

(...but I have a philosophical problem with buying samples from random dudes on ebay...)
Last edited by desmond on Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
desmond

Re: Simmons SDX Sample Libraries?

Postby blueknob » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:48 am

I saw a SDX on eBay.uk recently, it didn't reach many of it's asking prices, I was very tempted. That would be a real piece of music tech history, but I figured it would be an "almost complete" design, basically still in need of some factory support so I decided against buying it. It's a very unique item, I would think some are left for dead which would be a shame so bring 'em here, me and Mr R will fix 'em!

If you have the hardware, we (our community) needs to see this item, know about it, hear it, we need a demo etc. :geek:

Thanks for the links, just had a look. Wow! eventhough I was there at the time and I bought SoS mag that is the first review of the SDX I've ever seen! At the time we (in the UK) were busy with our home computers, Atari ST, Commodore 64 etc, in business we had the top of the range IBM AT (8086 4MHz?) - so for Simmonds to develop this level of tech, was some achievment.

I have noticed all things '80s Simmonds are creeping up in price on eBay.
blueknob

Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Postby madtheory » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:59 am

desmond wrote:(...but I have a philosophical problem with buying samples from random dudes on ebay...)

Took him 4 hours to edit each sample, and each CD is "hand made to order". I'm sold :lol:
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Postby desmond » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:47 am

There are some YouTube videos so there are people maintaining full systems out there - I suspect the library status is similar to the state of the Synclavier - owners are protective of the library as it's part of their investment into the machine, so they aren't keen to help set it free, which is understandable...

But it's one more vintage sampler that would be nice to have the library preserved into more modern formats.

(I consider it a civic duty! ;) )

Interesting note:
"Still seems like yesterday, but 20 years have passed since those halcyon days. Technology in the world of digital percussion has far surpassed the 1980s, even so, after Bruford's infamous SDX equipment meltdown during the Yes re-Union tour, he refused to use the Simmons or any other electronic drum equipment, heralding the era of the all-acoustic Earthworks and his subsequent retirement from public performance in 2008. Bruford told me that "Everything is designed to go bad...""

This one looks like a good library source:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CUSTOM-SIMMON ... SwB09YD-Oj

Too bad I threw my Zip drive away last week..! :D
...allthough it looks like those are in native SDX format, so probably not that useful unless you have the machine.

It seems there is a small amount of SDX library selling going on on ebay, some floppies and other things can be found on there, all at fairly high prices.
desmond

Return to Samplers