roland s330 sampler - the sound of it... gritty/lo-fi?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

roland s330 sampler - the sound of it... gritty/lo-fi?

Postby squatski » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:15 pm

Hi, about the roland s330 12bit rack sampler which I believe is a roland w30 in a rack without the sequencer and keyboard. Does it have a nice lo-fi gritty sound to it? can you choose low sample rates? also what's the work flow on it like? do you Really need a monitor hooked up?
squatski

Re: roland s330 sampler - the sound of it... gritty/lo-fi?

Postby Mesmerised » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:18 pm

The S-330 has a nice lo-fi sound, yes. But not that gritty, there's no harsh highs. Roland did the playback engine well and it has a 16Bit converter that makes its sound smoother than other 12 Bit samplers. It also has an analog filter with resonance!
You will need mouse and monitor, otherwise you're in for some frustration. Even one who knows the S-330 very well will despair trying to use it with display only. If used with monitor/mouse it's a poor man's fairlight and very nice to use.

One of the best sites: http://llamamusic.com/s50s550/
Mesmerised

Gear: Minimoog, ELKA Rhapsody, MFOS Modular, Matrix 1000, K5000S, MI Ambika, Shruthi (3x) and Anushri, Sonic Potions LXR, JX-8P, D-50, ...

Postby squatski » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:57 pm

ahhhh at last! a reply!

thanks for the info Mesmerised. I will look into getting this sampler with all the essential add ons!
squatski

Postby Juno6 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:17 pm

Mesmerised wrote:The S-330 has a nice lo-fi sound, yes. But not that gritty, there's no harsh highs. Roland did the playback engine well and it has a 16Bit converter that makes its sound smoother than other 12 Bit samplers. It also has an analog filter with resonance!
You will need mouse and monitor, otherwise you're in for some frustration. Even one who knows the S-330 very well will despair trying to use it with display only. If used with monitor/mouse it's a poor man's fairlight and very nice to use.

One of the best sites: http://llamamusic.com/s50s550/

The filter is digital.
Juno6

Postby Mesmerised » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:54 pm

Juno6 wrote:The filter is digital.

Yup, it seems to be. I have checked in the service manual. They convert to 16 Bit and send the wave data to the TVF16 custom IC. I don't know what happens inside that one. It sure doesn't sound like a digital filter (early nineties!) though. AFAIK back then there weren't a lot of manufacturers who could do a decent digital filter yet.
Mesmerised

Gear: Minimoog, ELKA Rhapsody, MFOS Modular, Matrix 1000, K5000S, MI Ambika, Shruthi (3x) and Anushri, Sonic Potions LXR, JX-8P, D-50, ...

Postby madtheory » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:09 pm

Why convert to 16 bit? It's already digitised? What exactly do you mean? I wonder if it's like the FZ-1 filter (which is analogue and unusual).
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Return to Samplers