Casio RZ-1 Patterns Not saving

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Casio RZ-1 Patterns Not saving

Postby Mikelundy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:31 pm

Hello, I just got a casio rz-1, but the pattern/songs I program aren't saved when I switch off the machine. Neither the samples nor the sequences.
Everything is erased and when it switched on it always start on pattern09 :?:

Is there an internal memory? Or it has to be saved with the "Magnetic Tape".
Not seems to understand clearly what is the magnetic tape function if there is an internal memory…

http://manuals.fdiskc.com/tree/Casio/Casio%20RZ-1%20owners%20Manualpdf.pdf

Manual indicate (p. 35) that patterns/sample should be saved when switched off.

So I suppose my internal battery is dead.
I didnt find anything online for changing it. Is it hard? I'am not familiar at all with electronics…

Thanks
Mikelundy

Re: Casio RZ-1 Patterns Not saving

Postby Rasputin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:38 pm

Mikelundy wrote:I suppose my internal battery is dead.

Yes.

If you don't replace it then you would have to use the MT jack to back everything up to a WAV/AIFF recording before powering the RZ-1 off, and the use the MT jack to restore the memory after powering back up. Not fun.

The "magnetic tape" doesn't really need to be magnetic cassette tape; it's just audio. The point is for archiving projects before moving on to new ones, trading samples with your friends, or changing sets of samples between gigs -- stuff like that.

Replacing the battery isn't hard, but you need at least some level of electrical/mechanical competency. It's a good entry level project if you're planning on maintaining your own vintage equipment.

Get a CR2032 battery. Get a coin battery holder/clip (search Mouser.com for #122-7520-GR or anything similar) -- they're very common.

Take apart RZ-1**. Remove old battery**. Replace with battery holder**. Place battery in holder. Reassemble RZ-1. Profit.

** Here's where the modicum of mechanical and electrical savvy comes into play. Protect the RZ-1 from ESD. Remember where the screws go. Don't be too rough with the decades old hardware. Don't burn up the solder pads when you take out the battery. So on and so forth.

If you're ready to dig into the wild world of the RZ-1 then try this:
http://r-massive.cellarseer.com//?s=Casio+RZ-1
Rasputin

Re: Casio RZ-1 Patterns Not saving

Postby Mikelundy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:26 am

thank you, will follow carefully this manipulation
Mikelundy

Return to Samplers