Using Omniflop to copy EPS16+ disk for use in Translator?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Using Omniflop to copy EPS16+ disk for use in Translator?

Postby john909kid » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:28 pm

I am trying to copy some EPS16+ floppy disks to use them in Translator 6 and I am using Omniflop to first read the EPS16+ floppies. It does this fine, and auto-dectects the Ensoniq EPS16+ disk format, but the issue is when I come to write the floppy disk to HD, there is no Ensoniq format listed in the drop down menu. I think the disk should be written and saved as an EFE file format type to use with Translator, so how can I do this?
john909kid
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Using Omniflop to copy EPS16+ disk for use in Translator

Postby Rasputin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:21 pm

john909kid wrote:I am trying to copy some EPS16+ floppy disks to use them in Translator 6 and I am using Omniflop to first read the EPS16+ floppies. It does this fine, and auto-dectects the Ensoniq EPS16+ disk format, but the issue is when I come to write the floppy disk to HD, there is no Ensoniq format listed in the drop down menu. I think the disk should be written and saved as an EFE file format type to use with Translator, so how can I do this?

You're not going to get EFE from Omniflop because they're not a disk image type, but instead a file type. You can do 1:1 disk imaging with Omniflop but you need another utility to extract the EFEs from the floppy image, or directly from a true floppy.

In other words, Omniflop can save the EPS16+ disks as raw images, but those raw images contain more than just EFE files within them, so they'll never be directly loadable/saveable with anything expecting EFEs.

You need a program that can explore the table of contents of Ensoniq disks -- a file explorer.
Rasputin

Postby john909kid » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:50 pm

Once i've used Omniflop to read an Ensoniq EPS16+ disk, which is the correct image type to select and save it to? Amongst a few others there are options for "Akai S-series image .AKAI" and "Roland S50 image .s50" , but no option to save as an "Ensoniq image" type. There is one option called "Standard disk image .img". Is this the correct one to choose?

And do you know of a program that will be able to extract and save the EFE files from within the Ensoniq disk image?
john909kid
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Rasputin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:07 pm

john909kid wrote:Amongst a few others there are options for "Akai S-series image .AKAI" and "Roland S50 image .s50" , but no option to save as an "Ensoniq image" type. There is one option called "Standard disk image .img". Is this the correct one to choose?

And do you know of a program that will be able to extract and save the EFE files from within the Ensoniq disk image?

Yes, "standard disk image .img" is just a RAW file type -- it's universal. Other tools--older ones from the MS-DOS era--would rip EPS16 floppies to GKH or EDE, but it's really pointless to use a legacy format like that in 2018, in my opinion.

GKH just throws a header onto the RAW image -- which needs to be stripped ultimately. EDE does the same thing but also uses a really, really weak form of compression which is just dumb to be using now. Anything but RAW is just making it more convoluted than it needs to be.

EnDiskEx is probably the most practical thing to get files out of Ensoniq images. You could use ChickenSys Ensoniq Disk Tools, but it comes highly *UN*recommended -- buggy as h**l, at least in my experience.
Rasputin

Postby john909kid » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:48 am

I have managed to resolve this issue. The RAW Ensoniq image file needed to be placed in to the Translator 6 "Images folder" and it now works fine. I have been able to convert some EPS16+ raw images to Akai format.
john909kid
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Return to Samplers