Disabling Fan for SD/SCSI card bad idea? (resolved)

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Disabling Fan for SD/SCSI card bad idea? (resolved)

Postby part12studios » Wed May 09, 2018 5:35 pm

Hi there,

So I have recently invested in a 4gb SCSI to SD Card adapter. It's great. I love it. It replaced my whinny SCSI HD in the same Enclosure.. but now that noise is gone, there is another noise..

The fan... it's not horrible but it's definitely very audible... so yea i guess horrible in a studio..

My question is do you think that fan was really to mostly keep the HD inside it cool or to keep it's own power converter cool?

I could see disabling the fan because I can imagine that the SCSI /SD card itself generates very little heat.. certainly not enough that would require a fan for cooling..

but i differ my opinion to what others might think in this community. I certainly don't want to burn anything out, but i would also like to avoid having to keep turning the device on and off.

Thanks!
Caleb
Last edited by part12studios on Wed May 09, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
part12studios

Re: Disabling Fan for SCSI enclosure for SD SCSI card bad id

Postby Rasputin » Wed May 09, 2018 7:09 pm

part12studios wrote:My question is do you think that fan was really to mostly keep the HD inside it cool or to keep it's own power converter cool?

I believe most engineers would rely on heatsinks to keep power regulators cool, although of course sometimes fans will be piggybacked directly onto a heatsink for high power things like GPUs, but if the fan is just mounted to the enclosure in general and not a specific chip (as I suspect it is) then it's probably okay to disable the fan.

Of course any added heat is bad in the long term, but I doubt anything is going to out-and-out scorch itself in the short term.

Just a guess, though.
Rasputin

Re: Disabling Fan for SCSI enclosure for SD SCSI card bad id

Postby part12studios » Wed May 09, 2018 9:02 pm

yea i checked with the seller of the product and he claims these devices put out virtually no heat themselves and i imagine that the transformer in the old enclosure (probably from the 90's) is generating any more heat than any normal transformer in unfanned gear (like my peavey sp sampler) and there is a lot of space in the enclosure especially since the sd scsi adapter is a fraction of the size of the original scsi hard drive and caddy that was inside before.

Thanks!
Caleb
part12studios

Return to Samplers