Did Enya ever use samplers for her voice?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Re: Did Enya ever use samplers for her voice?

Postby part12studios » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:31 am

well there you have it. All played live and performed. That's pretty amazing. That's watermark. I'm still wondering about that one "ah" in Caribbean Blue i link above, which is from Shepard Moons. Clearly though they were on to something with watermark so I'm sure they didn't opt to start sequencing things or get lazy with production so maybe it's still performed, but if that's the case, they did a good job making it sound like it was a sampler ;)
part12studios

Postby desmond » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:56 am

That vocal stack thing *is* her sound. It may be painstaking to do, but that is her process, and I don't think they are thinking they would be getting much value out of a privately-sampled Enya Kontakt instrument... ;)
desmond

Postby Mooger5 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:58 pm

That was a good read.´Watermark´and particularly 'Orinoco Flow' indeed were refreshing at the time. No doubt it must have sold quite well. So the part about the A&R advising on the songs structure was interesting. They knew they were onto something and fabricated a hit. While definitely non-mainstream it was unashamedly a commercial effort. But by not using sampled voices and sequencing and quantizing they ran a few risks. 'Tapeless studios' were the buzzword by then IIRC but they went for the real-time playing and singing to keep the feel. I mean, they were there to make money but were still a class act. Very nice.
Herrare umanum est.
Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby madtheory » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:50 pm

Talk Talk also recorded at Wessex, using the Mitsubishi digital 32 track in a similar way. Lots of offsetting to allow repeating/ looping parts when copying over to the master analogue multi. Like a giant sampler, in a way! It's possible they used that technique with Enya, for example repeating the same vocals in each chorus and verse. Which would partially explain the sampler-like vibe. Notwithstanding, of course, the time effort and skill in layering up those stacks of vocals.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Previous

Return to Samplers