Fairlight IIx sounds in .vc file format

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Fairlight IIx sounds in .vc file format

Postby chamomileshark » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:01 pm

I'm looking for them - not because I bought myself a Fairlight but because I just got the Arturia CMI V that will load sounds in the original .vc format.

I've already found this resource

http://www.nattvard.com/iix/index.php

I was wondering if people knew of other sources for different sounds?
chamomileshark

Re: Fairlight IIx sounds in .vc file format

Postby desmond » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:29 pm

The amount of people who owned Fairlights back then were limited, so there weren't really third-party companies that could make libraries commercially.

Most samples used on Fairlights were the factory stuff (which is all included in the Arturia version), or anything the user sampled on them, in the main. Some various producers' samples were included in various versions of the factory libraries, but that's about it for the stuff around.
desmond

Postby madtheory » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:39 pm

That site is good, but it's the same content as the IIx library supplied with CMI V.

The only other source is to swap with CMI owners.

That said, there is a resource about to come online soon for the CMI 3, but CMI V does not support CMI 3 vc files. It barely supports IIx up to rev 15. Have you tried the importing in CMI V? It's not reliable at all.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Pro Tools, Komplete, MIDIQuest, Novation KSR, Casio FZ1+SK5, Korg Legacy, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pads1+2, SPD11, OB Cyclone.
Band: Minim

Postby chamomileshark » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:15 pm

thanks, yes I know it was before 3rd party libraries became an industry - but the factory library did change over time so there are different versions of that - I've already found sounds not included in the Arturia plugin. Plus there seems to have been a fair amount of sharing of user created sounds by second and third generation owners.
chamomileshark

Postby chamomileshark » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:20 pm

hi Madtheory - I think I've found a few additional sounds. Import seems to look for "playlists"? But individual .vc files can be opened from that site. Fairlight III is something different, apparently very different sound files.
chamomileshark

Postby madtheory » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:50 pm

Ah yes you're right. There were several iterations of the IIx factory library. Three IIRC? I think I found the right version of "LOSTR2" on that site a few years ago.

I've tried importing discs that were made in 1984. It doesn't work reliably even though at that time it was rev 15, which Arturia claim to be supported. Some sounds do import but the level in the CMI V mixer gets stuck at maximum and cannot be changed. Tuning and looping are not imported either. In fact most of the IIx library in CMI V is out of tune. At least I can get the raw sample out.

I still like it though, it's got the sound :)
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Pro Tools, Komplete, MIDIQuest, Novation KSR, Casio FZ1+SK5, Korg Legacy, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pads1+2, SPD11, OB Cyclone.

Postby chamomileshark » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:13 pm

Had a reply on another forum - right now it's a bit beyond me - it may mean something more to you

Provided *.IMD floppy disk images: http://steverance.com/CMI/

1. Download ImageDisk software (http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm )

2. Use ImageDisk software

Code: Select all
IMDU disk.IMD disk.BIN /B

3. Use the BIN extractor utility (http://www.nattvard.com/iix/utilities.php )
chamomileshark

Postby madtheory » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:15 am

OK, it's coming back to me now. The library on nattvard.com is the same as what is included with CMI V. It's version 3. All out of tune in CMI V, as well. The library on Steve Rance's site is version 2 which has a small number of sounds that are not included in version 3. And version 3 has a lot of sounds that are not in version 2. To make it harder, a lot of renaming was done! So the famous stab from Stravinsky, Orch5 was renumbered, Saraar became Arr1, and the string sounds were all renumbered too with the original LOSTR2 going missing (that's a very widely used sound).

How do I know this? Because I did exactly that process you just posted. I thought I had bulk converted all of those IMD files, but I haven't. Unfortunately I can't send you img versions because I only kept WAVs of the classic sounds that I liked. This was after I had compared various conversions of the sounds, including 8 bit to 16 bit conversions done on the Fairlight CMI 3, which does a thing that mostly makes the sound better while still retaining the Fairlightness.

But if I could figure it out, you can! All you have to do is convert the .IMD on Steve's site to .IMG so it is compatible with the nattvard site.

You might find some cool stuff because as well as the factory disks, Steve (who is an ex-Fairlight engineer IIRC) has posted images of disks created by the user of the CMI he bought in 2010. So those are sounds hardly anyone else will have.

Happy hunting!
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Sonus » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:28 am

.IMD compressed files should be converted to .BIN image files in DOS:

Sonus

Postby chamomileshark » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:30 pm

I'm assuming I should be trying to run ImageDisk 1.1 from Dave's Old Computers - but it says it won't run on my version of windows. Tried doing it from the DOS prompt and I got something about my system being 64 bit and the programme is incompatible.

Anyway thanks for trying and the info.

(also thanks for saving me the time of going through the sounds - I guess the ones I see as fifferent were simply renamed).
chamomileshark

Postby chamomileshark » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:21 am

ok, the person that was helping me on another forum found another way of doing this. It's worked for me so I'll share it here for others.

Download and try HxCFloppyEmulator software to convert *.IMD to RAW ( http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emu ... l#download )

Description:

1. Download all Images @ http://steverance.com/CMI/fairlight_floppies/IIx_disks/ and put it in a folder

3. Use Batch Convert (HxCFloppyEmulator software) > Target file format RAW

3. Upload @ http://www.nattvard.com/iix/utilities.php
chamomileshark

Return to Samplers