Prophet 2000 CEM inconsistencies

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Prophet 2000 CEM inconsistencies

Postby kayvon » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:16 pm

Hi,

Not sure how common this is amongst Prophet 2000s but on mine there are inconsistencies between the cutoff points on about half of the CEM filter chips.

Once you get close to self-oscillation with a tone appearing near the cutoff point and the patch is cycling through the voices I get up to a tone in frequency difference. This precludes a lot of really interesting sounds which rely upon being specifically tuned.

I was wondering if there was a solution/workaround to this ?

The forced output mode doesn't help and as far as I can tell there's no way to individually edit a particular voice in the polyphonic modes. The guy I bought it off (long time ago) said that there's no trimmers for the voice chips and I seem to remember reading online that one solution would be to actually match the CEM voices manually by ear i.e. take them out and compare!

Against all better judgement I carry on with this sampler as it's a lot of fun, even if that fun does border on masochism sometimes hehe

So yeah any thoughts would be great. I've not had any joy joining the Prophet 2k Yahoo group not sure if anyone can get me in there as I still think people are posting there in 2018.

Cheers :)
kayvon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Prophet 2000 CEM inconsistencies

Postby madtheory » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:57 pm

Dan at Hideaway Studios is Prophet 2000 expert.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Pro Tools, Komplete, MIDIQuest, Novation KSR, Casio FZ1+SK5, Korg Legacy, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pads1+2, SPD11, OB Cyclone.
Band: Minim

Return to Samplers