Problems importing other formats to Akai S5000

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Problems importing other formats to Akai S5000

Postby SamSamba » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:55 am

Hi VSE folks. Been GASsing for some hardware samplers lately, so I went out and got two. Got a real bargain deal on these two: the Roland S-760 (with the DA-400 converter box, OP-760-1 extension and full RAM!) as well as the Akai S5000 (with the rare EB20 FX board!). I also got a SCSI CD-ROM drive, and I'm planning on buying the SCSI2SD adapter as well as a monitor for the Roland.

I've got tons of sample CDs for various formats that I've had "fun" exploring. I will probably still keep using the Roland for Roland stuff because it sounds different, but I've been trying to import Roland S7xx CDs into the Akai since it reads those (and many others).

My problem is that the Akai applies a LPF (and an envelope setting) to some/most Roland S7xx patches, which makes them sound "muffled". This can happen to a piano sound or to the tom sounds of a drum kit patch. To correct this, I'll have to reset each and every filter setting on every keygroup...which won't do. :? (Kontakt does this too sometimes, by the way.)

Is there any way to fix this? The Akai is so easy to use, it would be awesome if I could use it also for other formats than Akai. ;)
SamSamba

Re: Problems importing other formats to Akai S5000

Postby Tekhed66 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:29 pm

No idea why the s5000 is doing that to the Roland samples but have you tried converting a Roland 7xx sample into an Akai s5K sample BEFORE you try playing it on the Akai and see (hear) if it makes a difference?

Software like Translator will be able to convert it... not sure if parts of the sample parameters will be hobbled but it's worth a try.

If you haven't got Translator, PM me ... I've got Translator and I can convert a sample for you... mesage me first (don't send a sample yet).
Tekhed66

Gear: Roland JD-990
Roland JD-800
Roland XV-5080
Kurzweil K2000
Yamaha An1x
Korg Triton Rack
Korg M1
Korg Radias
Korg Volca Beats
Akai s5000
Band: The Creepy Uncles

Postby SamSamba » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:08 am

Yeah I've got Translator, haven't tried it yet - but it kind of defeats the purpose when I've got the S-760 and the S5000 is supposed to "naturally" read not only Roland but E-mu as well (haven't tried importing those yet)... :|
SamSamba

Postby SamSamba » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:52 pm

Hey, the same thing happens with some Akai CDs as well - like the S3000 library. :?

Some elements (or "keygroups") of a Program sound muffled because there is always a low-pass filter and the cutoff is too low or something...usually this is a drum kit. It wouldn't make sense that it's part of the patch, because it might be the same hi-hat that sounds ok on another patch that uses it.

Anyone have any idea what's going on and if there's something that can be done about it? :|
SamSamba

Return to Samplers