Akai S612 Sound Library Archive Project.

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Re: Akai S612 Sound Library Archive Project.

Post by HideawayStudio » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:53 am

madtheory wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:06 am
Probably not. Sounds like a lot of work. You could probably sell those, seeing as the S612 is definitely a newly popular machine with all the mods now available for it. Take a look at Hideawaystudios thread on Gearslutz.
Just a quick link to my XD-280 Disk Emulator for the S612 which has been proving extremely popular:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... -s612.html

Incidentally, I am able to transfer QD disks over to HxC disk images if any 612 owners have large disk collections they want to transfer using a special "hot-swapping" rig I built for the XD-280 project.

As far as I know JF Del Nero has already written a utility to extract the raw samples from the XD-280 disk images.

The new XD-280 system comes with a USB stick pre-loaded with over 150 new samples I made for the project with the aim to add many more over time. I am, however, not willing/able to add legacy commercial samples to the library for obvious reasons.

Incidentally, I think at least some of the original factory samples for the 612 (and certainly for later models) were created by my dear old friend the late Stephen Howell aka Hollow Sun who tragically passed away a few years back.

felineki

Post by felineki » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:38 am

I've become interested in old sample libraries in recent years, thanks in no small part to their use in classic video game soundtracks. So this thread caught my interest. I just managed to buy the SL701 (Strings #1/Brass #1, Pan Flute/Tenor Saxophone, Girl's Voice/Marimba #1) and SL710 (Power Kick/Power Snare, Gate Kick/Gate Snare, Reverb Kick/Reverb Snare) libraries off Reverb and eBay and although I don't have them in hand yet, once I do I want to donate them to this project. These SL700 series libraries are seemingly not compatible with the S612, only the later S700 and X7000, so they'll have to go to someone with one of those.

As an aside, I would also like to see an effort made to archive the S900/S950 libraries. These libraries are also poorly archived, with only a handful of disk images having made their way online. It would be great if we could fully archive those sampler's libraries as well.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:13 pm

felineki wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:38 am
As an aside, I would also like to see an effort made to archive the S900/S950 libraries. These libraries are also poorly archived, with only a handful of disk images having made their way online. It would be great if we could fully archive those sampler's libraries as well.
Dig deep into this one... it's probably the most complete S900/S950 collection freely available.

http://zine.r-massive.com/akai-s900-archive/