s950 floppy drive replacement

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
squatski

Re: s950 floppy drive replacement

Post by squatski » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:45 pm

well?
hello?

squatski

Post by squatski » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:46 pm

right what the h**l, I'm just gonna buy this YE-DATA drive anyway.
I'll just assume that pin 34 on that big chip has been cut and bent up to be connected to the P16 blob. this MUST be something to do with the Ready signal.
We shall see. I'll keep you lot updated when stuff arrives and gets done!

oh and on that last picture (my ms paint thing) where it says bloG together I meant blob together. I don't know what the technical terms are, for me dripping solder onto a board is a blob lol

squatski

Post by squatski » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:01 pm

oh sweet! Seb Ligez left us with some official floppy drive documents before he went missing lol
http://floppy.shugart.free.fr/docs/yeda ... -6537d.pdf

yep this ye-data drive is THE BOI! it has all the right terminology I'm looking for with the high/doubledensity switching. looks like you gotta get it in mode3. Looking at picture this is actually teac-style proper jumpers too. but I guess Seb didn't have those little plastic jumpers (and I don't blame him, they're tiny and can easily get lost) so he just did the solder jumping instead.
I'm getting there! I'm getting there!

squatski

Post by squatski » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:51 pm

ok got the TEAC FD-235HFA549 ... tried VARIOUS popular jumper settings. word on the street the correct one is:

|x| x x |x|
|x| |x| x |x|
|x| |x| x
x |x| x
x x x
x x |x|
x x |x|

^ that took ages to do that lol I hope it comes out right!
EDIT: yep didn't come out right check picture below

anyway no luck, back to square 1 of, the disk is recognized but it does the fake formatting on both DD and HD, and won't read disks that I know are already formatted. Starting to wonder if it's something on either of the 2 s950's motherboards but I've pressed chips down (well, there was only 2 really, the EPROMS) and I've reseated all connector cables. still no luck

squatski

Post by squatski » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:49 am

YEEEEEEEEEEEIHAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!! 8-)

SOLVED IT!

not gonna tell ANYONE the secret REAL jumper settings for the s950

nah just kidding... in the end it was this!

so I don't know where Seb got his jumper idea from... who knows .... who cares!! I've found one that works!! this diagram needs to be posted everywhere!! I'm spreading the love of knowledge. 3 damn weeks I've been pulling my hair out over this.

So I've still got that YE-DATA drive coming but I'm still going to try and mod it for fun seeing as I've already bought it.
Can't believe I've basically just been talking to my self on this thread! oh well.

squatski

Post by squatski » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:52 am

It formats HD disks and it shows up as 71% but reading another forum this is actually correct and nothing to be alarmed about. So the whole 1.44mb does get formatted.

I just wanna thank ebayer cpmagneticmedia even though he's probably not reading this. he was very helpful in the messaging to try and get this to work!

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:58 pm

BTW, those jumpers correspond to what I mentioned at the start of the thread:

Drive Select 0, Ready on pin 34, density on pin 2

FG (frame ground), REN (re-calibrate every power-up), DS0, RY34, HA, HO2

HO2 = HD signal output on pin 2
HA = density set automatically with diskette type