Fairlight III Samples Request

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
FairLightStarBright

Fairlight III Samples Request

Post by FairLightStarBright » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:07 pm

Hello there!

I’m an amateur composer and a big fan of the Terminator 2 soundtrack, which used the Fairlight III. Because Dark Fate was releasing soon, I was hoping to compose a track that included the samples Brad Fiedel used in the score but I haven’t been able to find them online and, being a broke college student, buying a Fairlight isn’t really a viable option at the moment. So, if someone here could point me in the right direction of where to find those samples or (if possible) supply the samples directly, it would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!

desmond

Re: Fairlight III Samples Request

Post by desmond » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:40 pm

As you say, those sounds are from the Fairlight Series III library which is not generally available.

However, there is nothing that special about the sounds, more in the way Brad Fiedel used them, with extreme pitch shifts down, and you can do that with any sample libraries. I'm sure you've seen the various YouTube vis where the T2 sounds were broken down, so I'm sure you can get close enough to evoke that score with other sounds treated in similar ways. It might be a good experiment and way to expand your sound design skills along the way.

It's only really the synth nerds that would really notice or care anyway... ;)

If you're really desperate, you could probably sample them off those YouTube videos to play around with.

FairLightStarBright

Post by FairLightStarBright » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:59 pm

desmond wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:40 pm
As you say, those sounds are from the Fairlight Series III library which is not generally available.

However, there is nothing that special about the sounds, more in the way Brad Fiedel used them, with extreme pitch shifts down, and you can do that with any sample libraries. I'm sure you've seen the various YouTube vis where the T2 sounds were broken down, so I'm sure you can get close enough to evoke that score with other sounds treated in similar ways. It might be a good experiment and way to expand your sound design skills along the way.

It's only really the synth nerds that would really notice or care anyway... ;)

If you're really desperate, you could probably sample them off those YouTube videos to play around with.
Oh, sweet, thanks!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:14 pm

FairLightStarBright wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:59 pm

Oh, sweet, thanks!
Check your PMs!