akai s5000 i need help

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
whiteovered

akai s5000 i need help

Post by whiteovered » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:25 am

Hello I need help I bought an Akai s5000 sampler a while ago, and it's my first time using an analog sampler. I didn't understand how it works in the manual, so I posted this.

there is only voice option. I want to know exactly what the 128 voices there mean and how they are available, and whether you can buy a floppy diskette, record it, make a sample, or record it inside the sampler. And if you connect the usb, you can easily control it with your computer via Akai software, which I don't want because I have to buy an old computer separately. I want to know how to get it working and write in this state.

My main task is to record a sample, sample it with the Acai sampler, and play it on my MIDI keyboard. And there are many recommendations to buy a CD-ROM or a hard drive, but I want to know what is better to buy. What should I buy first so that I can do what I want? And scsi cdrom wasn't easy to get. Can I do what I want if I buy an external hard drive?

Diggnity

Re: akai s5000 i need help

Post by Diggnity » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:33 pm

Hi there,

about 128 voices: It is possible to play 128 voices at once - so it is 128 polyphon.

About the sample source: You can import a sample from floppy disc or another source like internal/external HDD - in the end it doesn't matter.

CD-ROM: You only need it if you want to import samples from a Sampling CD.

Tip: You can change the floppy with this card reader:
http://rawndry.de/shop/sampler-upgrades ... -gb-karte/

808man

Post by 808man » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:07 am

whiteovered wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:25 am
Hello I need help I bought an Akai s5000 sampler a while ago, and it's my first time using an analog sampler. I didn't understand how it works in the manual, so I posted this.

there is only voice option. I want to know exactly what the 128 voices there mean and how they are available, and whether you can buy a floppy diskette, record it, make a sample, or record it inside the sampler. And if you connect the usb, you can easily control it with your computer via Akai software, which I don't want because I have to buy an old computer separately. I want to know how to get it working and write in this state.

My main task is to record a sample, sample it with the Acai sampler, and play it on my MIDI keyboard. And there are many recommendations to buy a CD-ROM or a hard drive, but I want to know what is better to buy. What should I buy first so that I can do what I want? And scsi cdrom wasn't easy to get. Can I do what I want if I buy an external hard drive?
Do you have USB option installed?

StargateMax
Gear: KORG: Trinity Pro, TR-Rack, Triton-Rack, M3X, 01/WFD; ROLAND: JD-990, Fantom XR, JP-8000, D-50; Yamaha: Motif-Rack ES; Alesis QSR; Akai S5000
Band: Stargate Max

Post by StargateMax » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:23 pm

808man wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:07 am
Do you have USB option installed?
That interests me as well, I got mine quite recently. :) My S5000 has an SD-card reader instead of a floppy drive, but I have been wondering, is it possible to connect the sampler to my PC and transfer/load any sample files directly without any memory cards or sticks?

leo909

Post by leo909 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:20 pm

Yes, you can transfer files from your Pc to the sampler using akai old software, ak.sys , but you ll need and old version of windows, not sure which since I use Mac. Also, you ll need to have the USB card installed in your sampler. Not only you can transfer files, but you can pretty much control all parameters on the computer, very handy.
You can find ak.sys software here, alongside some cool stuf like, drivers and the latest os for the s5000
http://martin78.com/files/akai_s5000/s5000-stuff.html
There are maybe 4 good videos on youtube regarding the sampler capabilities, I highly recommend you have a look at them.
Hope this helps

dozuki

Post by dozuki » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:14 pm

Having 64 or 128 voices means that you can play that many samples (voices) at one time. For instance, you could have a single sample loaded in the sampler and then hold down 64 keys on a midi keyboard connected to the sampler and it would then play the sample 64 times all at once. You could also have 16 different samples loaded and assign each one to a separate midi channel and use a sequencer to create a complete track using these samples played simultaneously by the sampler.

This sampler will load .wav's directly. To get a sample into the sampler, just load it into a DOS formatted floppy from your computer, then put the disk into the sampler and load the sample. Don't have a floppy drive for your computer or disks? The easiest solution is to use a SCSI2SD in the sampler in place of the floppy drive. Then you can exchange a FAT32 formatted SD card from your sampler and computer. This is the best method to get samples into the sampler and will cost less than $100.

I have the USB card and a computer that I can run Ak.sys on, but really it is quicker to use an SD card and the front panel of the sampler. Ak.sys is a computer implemented version on the operating system IN the machine. It's the same wether you use the front panel or the computer. Easier and cheaper to do it from the front panel.

Download the manual for the version of the operating system you have and use that to learn to use the sampler. The few videos on you tube will maybe get you started, but the manual will explain EVERYTHING.