Iomega SCSI ZIP 100 with a CASIO FZ-20M

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
belzrebuth

Iomega SCSI ZIP 100 with a CASIO FZ-20M

Post by belzrebuth » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:47 pm

Has anyone used a ZIP drive with a FZ sampler?
I have one spare drive and was thinking to use it with my FZ but I haven't used the SCSI before so I wonder if there's anything (like scsi termination) that I need to consider.
Thanks.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Re: Iomega SCSI ZIP 100 with a CASIO FZ-20M

Post by madtheory » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:09 pm

Switch termination on, on the Zip- assuming you've no other SCSI devices in the chain (and if you get issues, simply switch termination off!). But you should seriously consider investing in SCSI2SD instead. Far more reliable, easier to manage your files, and it'll be as fast as SCSI can possibly be.

Tekhed66
Gear: Roland JD990 / JD800 / XV5080 / SH-01a,
Behringer DM12, Korg Triton Rack / M1 / Radias,
Akai s5000, Yamaha An1x, Kawai K5000s,
Studiologic Sledge 2
Band: The Creepy Uncles

Re: Iomega SCSI ZIP 100 with a CASIO FZ-20M

Post by Tekhed66 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:18 pm

The Iomega Zip and Jaz drives are usually a simple setup and have switchable built in termination ... as Madtheory suggested, switch this to ON if it's the only hardware you've attached to the Casio but if there are problems, also try using it set to OFF... make sure the drive it up and spinning before you switch on your keyboard.

I used to have an internal scsi Jaz drive in my Akai s5000 but swapped it out for a solid state scsi drive instead... it only accepts PCMIA so I use a compact flash card in a PCMIA holder and it's fantastic... no moving parts, spinning disks, greater storage capacity and no possibility of the 'click of death' (the dreaded stuck Zip or Jaz disk)

Madtheory also suggested a SCSI2SD which is a more fancy version of what I currently have in my Akai sampler but the basics are the same... it's a highly recommended upgrade (I used to use a SCSI2SD in my recently sold K2000)

Hope this helps.