Question for Yamaha QY-series owners

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
hitachii

Question for Yamaha QY-series owners

Post by hitachii » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:07 pm

Hello,

I discovered these wonderful little things recently and am essentially hanging on one factor before pulling the trigger and buying one.

Having recently gotten an Elektron Digitakt, I was disappointed to discover that the sequencer on the midi tracks isn't capable of recording piano slides, or recording expressive chords, like if I were to play a chord by pressing each key in rapid succession instead of banging all the notes at the same time.

The sequencer on the QY machines seems very capable, but I haven't seen someone record a slide or an expressive chord like described above yet. I understand that sequencers have limitations, and that the yamaha machines are at least 20 years older than my Elektron box. Was thinking that maybe I'd be pleasantly surprised.

If not able to record a full piano slide, can it record multiple note 'events' per step? Thanks!

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Question for Yamaha QY-series owners

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:13 pm

Which QY? I had the original QY10 which was downright amazing for it's time, but seems antiquated these days. Funny how nowadays we have all these tiny portable synths but Yamaha, who invented the idea stopped making them about 15 years ago.

Definitely the last few models, like the QY-70 and QY-100 could do real time recording which will do what you want. If you're expecting a way to do it through step entry, though...forget it.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

hitachii

Re: Question for Yamaha QY-series owners

Post by hitachii » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:48 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:13 pm
Which QY? I had the original QY10 which was downright amazing for it's time, but seems antiquated these days. Funny how nowadays we have all these tiny portable synths but Yamaha, who invented the idea stopped making them about 15 years ago.

Definitely the last few models, like the QY-70 and QY-100 could do real time recording which will do what you want. If you're expecting a way to do it through step entry, though...forget it.
Great thank you! oh that's incredible.

It almost seems as though samplers and groove boxes etc have taken a bit of a backside, certainly from the direction that the QY70 and QY100 were going.

at least for the major manufacturers. now I'm learning about Zynthian and Axoloti and these little units are blowing my mind for being open source and super affordable to boot.