How to sample drums?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
zach

How to sample drums?

Post by zach » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:34 pm

I've been wanting to sample drums from Madonna's Dress You Up and Pretender. I think it would be pretty easy to sample the snare (and possibly the kick) in Dress You Up, but I'm not sure how I would sample it in Pretender with the synths, vocals, etc on top of them.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: How to sample drums?

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:08 pm

Sampling is nothing but audio recording. There's no way to remove the other parts from a recording so you can hear just the drums and then sample them.

Most drum sampling is done by finding sections where just the drumbeat is playing. Then the sample is looped and chopped into individual slices which can then be resequenced.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Hyde
Gear: ASR10
EPS16
EPS
Mirage
S2000
ESI2000
SY35
SQ1+
K1000
K2000rs
Band: When Violets Turn Grey

Post by Hyde » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:02 pm

One of my projects is a punk band. The Drummer & Bass Player/Singer sent me a rehearsal recording. you know, "set your phone on the floor & just let it roll" kind of recording. The drums were completely garbage, distorted. The rest of it was slightly better. I had fun with it, in my old samplers. Added in some random sampling. The point is, don't get stuck thinking it has to be a certain way. Get creative. Have fun with it. find random drum sounds that sound interesting. Make it yours!

Here's that piece. WARNING NSFW! Language, Imagery.

bionary

Post by bionary » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:02 pm

Check to see if there is an extended remix of the songs. There is usually a breakdown where just the drums are heard.