Roland sp-606 vs Korg Electribe ESX

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
thenew400

Roland sp-606 vs Korg Electribe ESX

Post by thenew400 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:01 am

I am looking at both and wanted to know which one is better overall. Also, I want to make industrial music, more specifically power noise, and wanted to know which one was better for that. Thank you.

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Post by diezdiazgiant » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:00 am

dont know much about industrial or "powernoise" but i can say this:

sp606 has more memory but isnt very intuitive. i never liked using the roland sp series for anything other patterns and loops that were made on something else and i already know will lock up with each other. the sp series is the type of thing i would load with something that would be constant in the song like a bassline, trigger the loop and forget about while i go and tweak something more expressive.

the electribe sx has less memory but very intuitive, the step sequencer makes it as straightforward as possible to get the timing of what youre trying to loop without touching the pitch of the material within and is much more capable of some crazy movements within your music.

hope that helps
blunted daydreaming

thenew400

Post by thenew400 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:23 am

I tried both of them at a guitar center and it seemed like the sp 606 was a little easier to use. I was also lead to believe that the sp 606 had step sequencer abilities. Am I correct? I want to be able to make intricate and odd rythms. It seems like the sp 606 could do this. But maybe it can't? Let me know.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:41 pm

thenew400 wrote:I tried both of them at a guitar center and it seemed like the sp 606 was a little easier to use. I was also lead to believe that the sp 606 had step sequencer abilities. Am I correct? I want to be able to make intricate and odd rythms. It seems like the sp 606 could do this. But maybe it can't? Let me know.
The SP606 does have step sequencing and real time sequencing with quantization settings of 1/32, 1/24, 1/16, 1/12, 1/8, 1/6, 1/4, and off. The sampler on the 606 destroys that on the Korg ESX but I think as diezdiazgiant said, the Korg would be much more intuitive. I used to own the SP606. It was a good machine with a lot of good sampling features, but I didn't find it to be very much fun to use. Based on my experience with Korg groove machines(ER1,EA1,EM1), I would go for the ESX. You get a lot less sampling time(I don't know how much you need), but I think you would find it to be a more inspiring machine.

mikdrop

Post by mikdrop » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:48 pm

i agree i have used both and the sp-606 seems like it should cost about 150 dollars max. The ESX is a lot more intuitive and more fun to use anyway. I believe that the ESX has more sample editing abilites like time stretching and whatnot. It also has tubes if youre into that sort of thing. I never even use mine. haha Im not big into samples though so maybe i have no idea what im talking about. I use software to edit my own "self made" samples. Im strange like that.
Alesis Mircon, Ion, Microkorg, Korg EMX-1, Prophecy, Behringer Euroback UB 1202, Gibson SGs, Fender JB, PC w/ duo core P4 4GB RAM, Laptop PC w/Duo Core 2GB RAM, BBE sonic Maximizer , Abelton live 5, legacy collection, Roland DM-20 monitors

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:34 pm

mikdrop wrote:i agree i have used both and the sp-606 seems like it should cost about 150 dollars max. The ESX is a lot more intuitive and more fun to use anyway. I believe that the ESX has more sample editing abilites like time stretching and whatnot. It also has tubes if youre into that sort of thing. I never even use mine. haha Im not big into samples though so maybe i have no idea what im talking about. I use software to edit my own "self made" samples. Im strange like that.
The SP 606 has way better sample editing capabilities than the ESX including time stretch and precise waveform editing. In fact, the time stretch on the 606 is a s good as the MC 909. Again though, I prefer the way Korgs operate and the more "hands on" feel.

hematurge
Gear: PC , Axiom 25, Roland SP-404, Zoom MRT-3, Boss DR-660
Band: the hematurge

Post by hematurge » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:29 pm

For Industrial/Powernoise I'd recommend the ESX. As previously stated alot more intuitive, plenty of stuff to tweak live. Also the set of effects on it would likely suit those styles of music better. I do noisy kinda industrial like stuff and would sell a kidney to get my hands on one. My 2 cents.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:45 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong...but isn't the Korg one of those samplers where you put a sample in it...and it decreases the volume and makes the sample sound weak... ie shitty sampling engine? I know the Roland's don't do that.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

BALKI

Post by BALKI » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:47 pm

iS the esx-1 a better sampler than the korg es-1 mkII?

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:49 pm

BALKI wrote:iS the esx-1 a better sampler than the korg es-1 mkII?
It has a lot more features. I know that, but there is also a more than $200 difference.

hematurge

Post by hematurge » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:51 pm

BALKI wrote:iS the esx-1 a better sampler than the korg es-1 mkII?
the ESX is a bigger more feature laden version of the ES-1. more memory more options more sequencing, etc.
you can compare the specs on the korg site http://www.korg.com/gear/default.asp?categoryID=2

BALKI

Post by BALKI » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:01 pm

WHY ARE ALOT OF USERS SAYING THE EMX-1 IS BETTER THAN THE ESX-1? I know the emx-1 is not a sampler, but can you sample with it also? I also know it's a drum machine synth.
The ESX-1 seems pretty fun to play with.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:03 pm

BALKI wrote:WHY ARE ALOT OF USERS SAYING THE EMX-1 IS BETTER THAN THE ESX-1? I know the emx-1 is not a sampler, but can you sample with it also? I also know it's a drum machine synth.
You can not sample with the EMX, that's why I ordered both. 8)

hematurge

Post by hematurge » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:09 pm

BALKI wrote:WHY ARE ALOT OF USERS SAYING THE EMX-1 IS BETTER THAN THE ESX-1? I know the emx-1 is not a sampler, but can you sample with it also? I also know it's a drum machine synth.
The EMX has no sampling capabilities, it's basically an all-in-one kind of electronic music maker. That's what I've gathered anyway. If you prefer that kind of thing then yeah I guess you would call it better. The ESX is a sampler and you have alot more control over the sound you make with it cuz well. you put the sound into it. What it boils down to is do you wanna use your own instruments/sounds/samples or do you wanna use the stuff the factory put in, not to detract from the EMX cuz you can the stuff in it. But it's aimed at dance music and I'd wager that's what it does best. The ESX on the other hand is pretty much an empty pallet. Hope this helps.

hematurge

Post by hematurge » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:11 pm

supermel74 wrote:that's why I ordered both. 8)
this guy's got the right idea :wink: