Roland sp-606 vs Korg Electribe ESX

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
BALKI

Post by BALKI » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:28 pm

The thing that intrigues me on these electribe samplers are their sequencers. They seem very easy to lay down patterns with. If the esx-1 has all the same options as the es-1 mkII and more than i might have to go this route.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:31 pm

BALKI wrote:The thing that intrigues me on these electribe samplers are their sequencers. They seem very easy to lay down patterns with. If the esx-1 has all the same options as the es-1 mkII and more than i might have to go this route.
That's why I am such an Electribe fan, the sequencers. I could care less about 24+/- pole filters and x amount of oscillators if the unit isn't user friendly and doesn't lend itself well to laying down music from your head to your machine.

BALKI

Post by BALKI » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:54 pm

I wanna be able to keep my motif 6 classic so I'm probably gonna have to go with the es-1 mkII. They have a used one here at my local music store. I heard that thing is awesome for one shot hits and drums.

I gotta question for the esx-1. I have a motif 6 keyboard and was wondering if i could sync it up with the esx-1 and sequence the sounds into the esx-1. Like right after i gotta good drum pattern going. Would i be able to do this?

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Post by diezdiazgiant » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:42 am

JSRockit wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong...but isn't the Korg one of those samplers where you put a sample in it...and it decreases the volume and makes the sample sound weak... ie shitty sampling engine? I know the Roland's don't do that.

the original OS did that, but the newest OS allows you to turn this feature off and besides that even with the first OS you can normalize the sample and raise the level as you wish. it takes 5 seconds to do.

its just that the d/a converters can be a bit noisy, and i wouldnt use the compressor effect if i had to since it its not exactly some hot sounding s**t.
blunted daydreaming

BALKI

Post by BALKI » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:36 am

I think I'll be picking me up the ESX-1!
How do you transfer your own samples to this thing?
Will i need to buy a usb Media reader/writer to my pc? So i can write my samples to a smart media card and load em in the ESX-1.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:39 am

BALKI wrote:I think I'll be picking me up the ESX-1!
How do you transfer your own samples to this thing?
Will i need to buy a usb Media reader/writer to my pc? So i can write my samples to a smart media card and load em in the ESX-1.
If you are going to be transferring samples from your pc to the ESX, you will need a smartmedia card reader if your pc doesn't have one built in as some do. Of course you can sample through the audio inputs or mic as well.

Mo
Gear: Radias, ESX, EMX, MS2000, EA-1, Poly-800, Juno-106, Jupiter-6, MC-09, DX5, Monomachine, SQ80, CZ5000, VL-tone, midiNES
Band: hobbyist/procrastinator

Post by Mo » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:43 am

If you're going for the industrial/noise stuff then mosdef go for the ESX-1. The Decimator (bitcrusher) on that thing is mental! I love it! :twisted:

Also, I don't know how many people do this, but when I had my EMX-1 (it's fried now :( ) I would synthesize drum parts in the five synth parts (just like on the ER-1) for some vintage drum sounds then throw the Decimator over it to make it completely evil. If you throw the lowpass filter into the effects chain with moderate resonance it will carve up anything and make your ears bleed!
--------
-If you have to be on the cutting edge, expect to bleed.-

shagghie

SP-404 + Evolver

Post by shagghie » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:44 pm

I would get an SP-404, and then save up for a little more cash, and get a DSI Evolver to run it through. Given the type of music you want to make, I doubt there would be a more potent combination of sampling and *true* binary decimation than running the 404 through the Evolver's distortion, reso, bit reduction (Output hack), feedback, etc.
If you then add the Evolver's sequencing to the matrix, you can do some nutty things, like send your sample breaks through the sequencer set to triplets with varying filter cut-offs per step, etc.
Also, on the evolver, you can just as easily sequence the effects themselves.... so vary your distortion per step!

606 isn't worth the cash. 404 used + used evolver, all the way.

As for the Korg's... I can't dig on their overall sound quality, and would have to agree with Rockit all the way. Side by side, the 404's sampling engine sounds so much more beefy, untampered, and 'up front'. The Korg's sound like they have a pillow over a speaker for some reason.

My $.02....

best advice is to go and play with either at a GC for at least 2 or 3 hours each. Run them through the same amp, or bring your favorite headphones with you to drown out the other axes in the store...

Go early in the morning, so there's less noize.

lhm1138

Post by lhm1138 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:51 am

Korg ESX, no question. The polyphony on the SPs are a freaking joke. I think the effects on the ESX are a bit better too. Just my opinion, but I feel the ESX blows them away in almost every area (except storage media).

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:37 pm

From my very limited use of both... I thought the SP-606 sounded better. Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like when you load a sample into the ESX-1 it kind of loses its oomph. I did not see that same effect with the SP-606.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

razorriley

Post by razorriley » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:30 pm

with the ESX can you sample a phrase or just a specific sound? if i had a couple seconds of a song i wanted to sample can i do that with the ESX? aside from the sampler, what are significant differences b/t the EMX and the ESX?