industrial drums

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Sausage242

industrial drums

Post by Sausage242 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:17 am

Hi, does anybody have a clue where bands like PTP, Revolting cocks, Ministry and similar in mid to late 80s got those kicks and snares with that hihat-ish attack? I mean which drum machine it was or whatever?

Thanks

putzgummycymbal

Re: industrial drums

Post by putzgummycymbal » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:48 am

Sausage242 wrote:Hi, does anybody have a clue where bands like PTP, Revolting cocks, Ministry and similar in mid to late 80s got those kicks and snares with that hihat-ish attack? I mean which drum machine it was or whatever?

Thanks
\
\ I will tell you this, they synthesized that s**t out of cheesy a*s samples, and did some nice distortion and modulation on them. who knows, I play with fruity loops and you give the sample a ton of distortion, and some nice filters, there you go
do you want to kiss me jim? yes I do! Simply tear into the sun.

you got it www.myspace.com/pierceaugust

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:01 pm

hi-hat'ish attack?

You mean: reverse a snaredrum, add reverb, reverse again?
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Post by elmosexwhistle » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:33 pm

yerr the old reverse reverb, a little cliche now but a very powerful trick, and one that still has some mileage in it.x

lhm1138

Post by lhm1138 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:27 am

Also try using 2 or more samples, but start with two. Two for snare, use different types of snares, but on the first one pull the release in the adsr back, while on the second sample push the attack back...doing things like this can create a very different sounding snare than what you had...applying different filters to each can also blow it up...for instance BPF on one, LPF on the other. Tweak the Filter envelopes to taste as well. What this does is a weird morph or type of crossfade where you have the attack from one snare and the release for another. It can be quite striking (no pun intended).

Computer Controlled
No Longer Registered

Post by Computer Controlled » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:39 am

I"m pretty sure most of those drum sounds are actually whatever electronic drum kit Bill Rieflin was playing on.

RASP
Band: RASP

Re: industrial drums

Post by RASP » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:14 am

Well, the kick drum you are referring to is actually a sample ov a door slamming combined with a kick sample in the Fairlight CMI.