Unlocking the E-Mu E4X

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
tucara

Unlocking the E-Mu E4X

Post by tucara » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:17 pm

Over a year ago I found a used E-Mu E4X (not T or Ultra) on craigslist for $100. The unit had the output extension option, extra RAM and bigger harddrive and I quickly realized that the owner had WAY underpriced it so I bought it. At that time I was looking for something like an SP-505/606 which had more realtime control since I'm focused on techno/trance. I've started using it in my studio, but since it's a professional grade sampler I feel I'm missing most of the features. So far I've just used the basic sample/edit functions and done some preset managing so I can trigger the samples via MIDI. I almost want to downgrade to something simpler, but I know I'll be kicking myself if I get rid of this quality piece of equipment.

Does anyone who uses the EOS (mine is v3.0) have any easy but powerful tricks they've found with this sampler? Something sweet they've done w/ the onboard effects?

Matt

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:28 pm

holy avatar, batman.

(please resize)
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

ehasting

Post by ehasting » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:08 pm

hey, check out http://www.emusonacid.co.uk/forum/index.php for more eos stuff :)

there are plenty of jedi tricks! :)

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:58 pm

If you don't already have it, get the user manual, it's very well written and will give you all the tips you'll need. It's still available on Emu's website.

nick_emulated

Post by nick_emulated » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:25 pm

hmmm...eos tips....i have a few....some maybe useful to your trance production, some not(i do tech/dnb/hiphop/experimental weirdness)

as far as sample edit goes....

1. clip the s**t out of all your samples...10-20db over 0 on all your drums will give them that really heavy dnb sound(also prime for heavy tech sounds...all my drum machines get re-sampled thru the emu for production, live is a different story obviously)....remember, u can spit them out the individual outputs and turn them down on your desk...you'll have to play w/ the headroom setting in the master menu to get this to work optimally.

2. the exciter is your friend on cymbals/claps/strings...use it...its on the 3rd page of sample edit.

3. taper is your friend as well....use it on all samples for the end...even if u trim your samples perfectly(which u shouldnt, i always leave some space)

4. tc/pc are also your friends...use them, love them....tc a sample -200% 3-5 times to get that junnnnnnglllllllliiiiiiiisssssssssttttttttt tiiiiiiimmmmmeeeeeeestttttrrreeettttcccchhhhh :)

5. resample...use it...makes life easier...can save voices too if u use it right.....like if u make a sick beat....u might as well resample the loop, instead of playing it back from hits....it'll save voices...plus u can do filter sweeps much easiser.

preset edit

1. alot of ppl will setup their emu's w/ a default preset just for drums....with hits mapped to individual keys, ...this is a MUST have...it makes making new drum programs so much easier...instead of spending hours mapping samples...just dial up a preset w/ drums across all the keys, and map the correct samples to keys....THIS IS THE BIGGEST TIME SAVER EVER!

2. the cord matrix is the most powerful part of the emu....get to know it....its everything you'd expect of a modular synth, w/o the tangle of patch cables..the manual explains all the functions of the cords....read it next time you're on the shitter

3. stay away from the built in chorus on your presets...it steals voices....might not be a big deal if u have the 128 voice card...but on my 64 voice emu, it can steal voices really quick w/ multi-timbral setups.

another tip.....put everything indidual folders....every project should get its own folder on the HD/zip/floppy whatever medium you use....also....if u can send samples directly to your emu from recycle....the later versions of recycle require eos 4.x, so unless you have recycle 1.6, you'll pretty much need zero-x beat creator to chop drum breaks and transmit via scsi...also...scsi transfer from soundforge/recycle/zero-x is pretty much required....midi sample dump is possible but it is quite painful...get your scsi going...if your on pc its pretty easy...slap in an adaptec card, install the latest aspi layer from adaptec.com and you should be good to go...zero-x beat creator can be easily obtained from the usual "wink-wink" sources where you might obtain soundforge or recycle

just about everthing i do gets passed thru the emu at least once...there is just something about its processing that makes anything u feed it sound 10x better....ive even been known too feed vocals too it when im engineering hiphop tracks...its sound is that good.