Mac sample editing software

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Sorcerio

Mac sample editing software

Post by Sorcerio » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 pm

I have an Akai S950. And I am soon picking up an E-mu Emax SE HD+. I also happen to have an old Macintosh computer, an SE/30. I have heard a couple things about software for the Mac that will allow me to connect and edit & store samples from these two samplers (among others). I have heard of Alchemy and Sound Designer. From what I know, these would give me a graphical interface to edit my samples on the Mac screen. Very cool! I want it!

Does anybody know a source of information about these programs and how I might be able to obtain a copy?

Cruel Hoax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog Voyager, Roland V-Synth, Roland MC-909, Parker Nitefly, Master Room & Fostex Springverbs, Lexicon Vortex, Travel guitar, Acoustic guitar.
Band: Giorgio Moroder's Moustache

Too dark. Use flash!

Post by Cruel Hoax » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:05 am

Alchemy works (worked?) great, but it edited directly in RAM. In other words, your sample couldn't be larger than your Mac's available RAM (plus extra free RAM for editing, undo's, etc.) Still, it had some nice functions, like cut/paste volume envelopes between samples, etc.

To use Alchemy, you need a MIDI interface to blow the samples into the Akai (and an audio interface, too. I believe the one in the SE/30 is 8-bit playback only)

To use Sound Designer, you need Digidesign hardware. Firewire/USB is out of the question (I believe) for the SE/30, as is NuBus or PCI.

I've got an old Quadra with an original Audiomedia card in it that I used to use for Sound Designer, Alchemy, Infinity, Turbosynth etc. You might try to find an old Mac with NuBus or PCI slots. I've found three here by dumpster diving.

I think I have Sound Designer around here (still have the original manual on my bookshelf, all dog-eared!) and I likely have a version of Alchemy somewhere also. I'll dig for Alchemy and see if I can't find it. Be warned, though, that around that time, I thought I was a hot shot, and started re-making Alchemy's user interface, so it's a bit -erm- nonstandard. Stupid, really. But it still works well.
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen

Alexx

Post by Alexx » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:20 am

D-Sound Pro, which is shareware, is worth a look (it is the predecessor of the excellent DSP-Quattro):

http://www.i3net.it/Products/DSoundPRO/

Check its specs here to see if it would work on your SE/30 with you S950:

http://www.i3net.it/Products/DSoundPRO/WHATITIS.HTM

I used to use D-Sound Pro before I switched to OS X, and I liked it very much.

Sorcerio

Post by Sorcerio » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:31 am

Well I'm wondering if it would be possible to do this with my regular pc and Sound Forge or another similar program. I guess it would dump midi info back and forth. I'm not at all versed on midi dumps. Anybody care to shed some light?