Just recieved my Mirage

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
mis psiquicios y yo

Just recieved my Mirage

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:20 am

It's so inmidiate in everything, so arcaic, so limited, iconoclastic, . . . i absolutly love it. It's the rack version and i hooked it to my Poly 800, so i can use the poly's sequencer with one of the two sounds of the Mirage and play on the other half, wonderful results.

I'm still learning to operate it, any hints, recomendations?
mis psiquicos y yo
In electronic music, sequencers are as important as synths, they all modify your composition and playing

mis psiquicios y yo

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:20 am

Forget the hints, i need help, my Mirage is the one that load disquettes of sounds with the OS, and when i try to format a disc it seems that it is doing ok, but at the end i can't get e formatted disc, it always ends with the UD (unformatted disc) message. help me please!!
mis psiquicos y yo
In electronic music, sequencers are as important as synths, they all modify your composition and playing

mis psiquicios y yo

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:31 pm

Maybe no one owns a Mirage, right?
mis psiquicos y yo

Sorcerio

Post by Sorcerio » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:48 pm

give it a little time maybe a day or two. somebody might know something.

nightcrier
Gear: Jupiter 50; Triton Extreme; KARMA; M3R; Hammond XK1: D50; D70; UltraNova: Moog Voyager; Akai S2800s;TG33, TX7: MUSE Receptor; Roland XV5050
Band: Sweet Crystal

Mirage Rack

Post by nightcrier » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:56 pm

I have that same unit (and used to have the keyboard version as well). Let me look around this weekend and see what kind of docs and such I might have to help you.
I do have a DVD on how to work with the Mirage that explains a lot if you're interested. I used to belong to the MUG (Mirage User Group) back in the 70's and bought it from them.
Also, make sure what type of disc you're trying to format - I don't remember right now but I know that HD floppies DID NOT EXIST back when these units were made, so you might have to find the older style 800k discs - that could be your problem. Also, the original floppy drives do go bad. That might need to be replaced.
I still have a lot of Mirage discs in the studio.
It really is a nice grungy sampler - I had to put a Rocktron Hush II unit in line with mine to cut down on the inherant white noise though.
Q
Reaching The World, One Song At A Time ™

Sorcerio

Post by Sorcerio » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:18 pm

if you are using HD disks try taping over the hole on the right corner of the disk. it's the hole that doesn't have the little plastic slider. then try formatting again. this trick works for a lot of old gear that was made to use DD floppies. tricks the drive into thinking the HD disk is a DD disk.

mis psiquicios y yo

Re: Mirage Rack

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:59 pm

nightcrier wrote:I have that same unit (and used to have the keyboard version as well). Let me look around this weekend and see what kind of docs and such I might have to help you.
I do have a DVD on how to work with the Mirage that explains a lot if you're interested. I used to belong to the MUG (Mirage User Group) back in the 70's and bought it from them.
Also, make sure what type of disc you're trying to format - I don't remember right now but I know that HD floppies DID NOT EXIST back when these units were made, so you might have to find the older style 800k discs - that could be your problem. Also, the original floppy drives do go bad. That might need to be replaced.
I still have a lot of Mirage discs in the studio.
It really is a nice grungy sampler - I had to put a Rocktron Hush II unit in line with mine to cut down on the inherant white noise though.
Q
Thanks, the rack came with some DD floppies and they function OK. I have a copy of the original manual, hope you find something else that helps me, because i already figured how to operate almost everything and i have made some good samples that i can't save. Thank you again, i´ll be waiting.
mis psiquicos y yo

mis psiquicios y yo

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:15 pm

Sorcerio wrote:if you are using HD disks try taping over the hole on the right corner of the disk. it's the hole that doesn't have the little plastic slider. then try formatting again. this trick works for a lot of old gear that was made to use DD floppies. tricks the drive into thinking the HD disk is a DD disk.

Thank you, but thats not the problem, because i have DD disks. Maybe they are in bad shape. I'll try to do the formatting on new taped HD disks tonight. Thanks
mis psiquicos y yo

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:57 am

The Mirage is a great sampler, as long as you know its limits. Grungy drums, 8-bit choir sounds, and pseudo-analogue/digital hybrid sounds are my favourite things, as well as the occasional soundbite from unnamed TV/Film sources ;)

The disks do go bad over the years. I recently got mine out of storage after about 3 or 4 years, and only half the disks still worked.

You should ideally use DDs, I haven't tried the HD with tape over the hole yet; I have a few old blanks lying around yet.

The formatting problem could be dodgy disks, but something you need to remember about the mirage is that the OS is stored on the disks, not in memory on power-down. So every time you start it up, it needs the OS booting.

The OS is present on sound disks, as well as the banks of sounds, and sequence data if you want too.

When you save samples, the OS is NOT automatically saved.

You need to have the Mirage Formatting Disk in order to save the OS to a disk.

These guys are really helpful: Syntaur. I recently got a manual, service book, and a bunch of disks from them for my Mirage. They have stacks of sounds, and can provide any disk you like, even alternative OSs for turning your mirage into an additive synth.

Prices are fine, delivery time speedy. Highly recommended from experience.

If you're still stuck, I can put up a table of parameters. Let me know if you need it. That programming is easy once you get the hang of it.

8)

mis psiquicios y yo

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:21 pm

nathanscribe wrote:The Mirage is a great sampler, as long as you know its limits. Grungy drums, 8-bit choir sounds, and pseudo-analogue/digital hybrid sounds are my favourite things, as well as the occasional soundbite from unnamed TV/Film sources ;)

The disks do go bad over the years. I recently got mine out of storage after about 3 or 4 years, and only half the disks still worked.

You should ideally use DDs, I haven't tried the HD with tape over the hole yet; I have a few old blanks lying around yet.

The formatting problem could be dodgy disks, but something you need to remember about the mirage is that the OS is stored on the disks, not in memory on power-down. So every time you start it up, it needs the OS booting.

The OS is present on sound disks, as well as the banks of sounds, and sequence data if you want too.

When you save samples, the OS is NOT automatically saved.

You need to have the Mirage Formatting Disk in order to save the OS to a disk.

These guys are really helpful: Syntaur. I recently got a manual, service book, and a bunch of disks from them for my Mirage. They have stacks of sounds, and can provide any disk you like, even alternative OSs for turning your mirage into an additive synth.

Prices are fine, delivery time speedy. Highly recommended from experience.

If you're still stuck, I can put up a table of parameters. Let me know if you need it. That programming is easy once you get the hang of it.

8)
Thanks Nathanscribe, i've been able to format a blank DD disk and i could save samples on it and the OS, so i think i'm on the way. But in the proces i screw up 4 dd sounds floppies that came with the thing, every time i try to load a sound of that floppies it goes disk error and load the smples incorrectly, is there a way to reverse that so i can use the right samples again or at least to use the floppies for new creations??

Thank you again.
mis psiquicos y yo

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:01 pm

I had the same problem early on - I think it was caused by trying to cancel a disk procedure before it was complete, it's a long time ago and hard to remember, but I lost the first two banks of sound on that disk.

I have a couple of disks that corrupted with age, presumably - they are about 20 years old now, and showing it! When i try to load the sounds, I get a disk error sign. The sounds play sometimes, but with errors. Just the way these old disks go, it seems.

You're best backing up sounds from old disks on new ones. And Syntaur have a complete back-catalogue if you get really stuck. These things don't last forever, unfortunately!

Once a disk is corrupt, best to not use it again. You risk losing anything you save to it.

mis psiquicios y yo

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:40 am

nathanscribe wrote:I had the same problem early on - I think it was caused by trying to cancel a disk procedure before it was complete, it's a long time ago and hard to remember, but I lost the first two banks of sound on that disk.

I have a couple of disks that corrupted with age, presumably - they are about 20 years old now, and showing it! When i try to load the sounds, I get a disk error sign. The sounds play sometimes, but with errors. Just the way these old disks go, it seems.

You're best backing up sounds from old disks on new ones. And Syntaur have a complete back-catalogue if you get really stuck. These things don't last forever, unfortunately!

Once a disk is corrupt, best to not use it again. You risk losing anything you save to it.
Yeah, im' going to copy them because most of them are good samples, very usable. The sampler came with some Syntaur floppies and i like them, i've been sampling my poly 800 II and my girlfriend saying verde (green) rojo (red) and then i control the Mirage with the Poly's sequencer, did you know that the mirage's sampler can record the sequence of the poly 800, it's great, have had tons of fun.
mis psiquicos y yo

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:19 pm

The old diskettes were never meant to last for 20 years anyways. The plastic gets brittle and the magnetic disc inside get scratched and damaged. Maybe the diskdrive itself is dirty and full of dust that causes read/write problems, too.