Rant about the lack of modern hardware samplers.

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Re: Rant about the lack of modern hardware samplers.

Post by balma » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:45 pm

I had a Karma and I hated its interface, sold it very soon. haven't tried Tritons with sampler onboard.

Modern Fantoms,are very expensive. Roland is crazy. Totally overpriced.

MC 909, great and underrated machine. but it does not have variphrase!!!!!! s**t. Only reason I wouldn't adquire one.

Kurzweil. Better than variphrase when manipulating samples along the scale. Expensive. Not oriented to user sampling functions, more for virtuous keyboard players.... but Kurzweil are great for sampling indeed.

Emu: last great product??? ULTRA. But nothing worths to mention about EMU nowadays since they became Creative Labs, they are today computer parts.
Layering several samples is one of my favorite process when programming. You can do it with some modern samples, or even with the V synth, if you want several samples into a patch just resample 2 into one and keep doing it, but it's not the same, you will always have to work with only 2 parts and the process will take a lot of time....

I know I'm just complaining, but it's not with the intention of spoiling, I really think that labels could have a great future with hardware samplers. We just need a lot of consumers asking for them.

but looking at the present, it seems that's not going to happen. Everybody is becoming lazy, and prefers to buy sample libraries to load them on the computer.
Last edited by balma on Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:02 am

@balma:
Recently my local music store pushed their Fantom X models at half the price. And on the secondhand market the Tritons are getting pretty cheap I'd say. Mind you, I'd want a Triton Extreme for resampling possibilities. And taking the awesome effect section into consideration, I'd say it's a winner. I highly doubt any of the manufacturers are going to start designing heavyweght samplers only. You just have to accept there will be a synth included ;)

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:59 am

Most Tritons can take the sample expansion unit including the Triton LE. The Karma can't... :(

Dietrich

Post by Dietrich » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:54 am

I'm still curious about the Linndrum II, if it's ever going to be released... :)

LogoS

Post by LogoS » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:33 pm

Dietrich wrote:I'm still curious about the Linndrum II, if it's ever going to be released... :)
you, me and half the world over!!

my only fear is that it will NOT meet the expectations from users of the previous roger linn products.

maybe this is why they are still so hesitant to release it

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:02 pm

I'm going back to hardware samples, just got a Prophet 2002 to use for drums! Then going fully into emulator III units for strings and more drums. :D

I'm totally over crappy ableton sampler rack BULLSHITE

You absolutely can't f**k with hardware samplers that have analog filters
for sale/trade: EML-101

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:33 pm

Linn Drum II
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:06 am

had some fun with a friend who presumes to have the best gear of the whole country:

Hardware samplers are no longer for me, since I got a lot of soft samplers....

This guy has around 30 synths. Problem: I don't hear them sounding....

I think that refusing to adquire hardware synths, is limiting yourself in a very stupid way. there's a concept problem about what a sampler is. They are musical instruments.

Looking right now:

Roland VIP 9000
E-MU 6400 Ultra
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:54 am

Linn drum sounds promising I just hope there isn't a mopho built into it :D

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:36 am

nadafarms wrote:Linn drum sounds promising I just hope there isn't a mopho built into it :D
I think you can expect a MoTetraVolver built into it...

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:52 am

Ashe37 wrote:
nadafarms wrote:Linn drum sounds promising I just hope there isn't a mopho built into it :D
I think you can expect a MoTetraVolver built into it...
exactly what I'm afraid of...

I would rather see the effects side of DSI implemented rather than the oscillators and synth aspect, like put 16 dsi analog filters with lfos and a couple of those feedback loops. Rather than an "analog workstation" mpcmopho

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:28 am

From looking at the older design, its likely to have a synth side and a sample side. that's why i used the Evolver analogy, because i think that will probably be the closest relative.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:12 pm

=D>

I thought I was the only person who did not like the mopho(concept was great)
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:05 pm

I would prefer a plain Roger Linn only linnII, part of my reasoning is that since the release of the evolver everything to come out of dsi is just a rehash of the same over and over... and I never liked the oscillators or filters to begin with and many don't :(

so i just worry it will be just another rehash coming from dsi, and I would rather just see roger come out with an all digital unit that is totally unique and new, and actually release it!

but back on topics,

vintage samplers with analog filters are so crazy cheap for what they are and you can sequence them from your favorite sequencer without breaking the bank on a 16 step grid sequencer. also rack samplers are also easy to process the voices with nice outboard analog gear, it's kind of a pain to run all your softsamplers out of a computer and through effects then back in while keeping really tight timing\

even look at the jomox xbase-888, for that kind of money you could have a nice vintage 12bit sample with some effects and a mbase-01 or 11 and a tr-606 for hats. Just amazes me that people really dont like rack samplers :(

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:16 pm

nadafarms wrote: Just amazes me that people really dont like rack samplers :(
I have a Yamaha A4000 since 7 years ago....

Prob with those oldie 80ies samplers, is that the "most powerful" has 512k or 1Mb. Most of the people won't pay $$$ for that....

I have an AX60, I will like to use its minidin input for the sampler and process them with the analog filter. But... for only one or two sounds????