Any Roland SP-404 fans here?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
User avatar
supermel74
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 965
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:56 am
Location: Maine
Contact:

Post by supermel74 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:56 pm

toonelind wrote:
supermel74 wrote:
toonelind wrote:is it possible to connect a keyboard to sp-404 and play one sample at different pitches, basically to use it as a synth?
no
what would be a modern, simple and light weight solution for that besides computers?
I think the SP 505 can do that but oddly enough not the SP 606. The ESX can do that too, and it's about the same price as the 404.

User avatar
toonelind
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:18 am
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Contact:

Post by toonelind » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:06 am

thanks

i haven't used a sampler for more than 10 years. back then, it was roland w30, which was really nice. strangely, i haven't had even a slight interest in them since then until now. i want to use it breifly in one song and i don't want to have a computer on stage. is there anything affordable and light weight. i see old akai's going quite cheap on ebay, is there anything else worth looking for?

User avatar
supermel74
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 965
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:56 am
Location: Maine
Contact:

Post by supermel74 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:10 am

The Yamaha A3000 seems to be a good buy.

User avatar
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2862
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:15 am
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline
Location: Synth Garden
Contact:

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:50 am

I'm a fan of the yellow SP-404 :)
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

User avatar
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3911
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:15 pm
Location: New York City

Post by JSRockit » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:29 pm

crystalmsc wrote:I'm a fan of the yellow SP-404 :)
Those are just skins... not paint.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

the great escape
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:34 pm
Gear: Nord lead 2x, roland Tr-707, roland R8, Moog prodigy, delay, distortion, optigan, ace tone, cheap mic.

Post by the great escape » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:17 pm

Does anyone know if you can erase bank A on the sp-404? The stock sounds are terrible.
Nord G2X,Roland R8,Moog prodigy,Nord lead 2x,sp-404,sp-202,Laptop,stomp boxes

User avatar
supermel74
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 965
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:56 am
Location: Maine
Contact:

Post by supermel74 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:18 pm

the great escape wrote:Does anyone know if you can erase bank A on the sp-404? The stock sounds are terrible.
yes you can

User avatar
Headphones.40
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:18 pm
Real name: Aaron
Gear: Korg EMX
Korg ER-1 mk2
Korg Kp1mini
Roland SP-505
Roland MC-09
Yamaha DX200
Mackie CFX20
Electrix Mofx

Re: Any Roland SP-404 fans here?

Post by Headphones.40 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:48 pm

It's on my wishlist to go with my sp505, but I'm in no hurry to find one right now. I won't pay for a new one, but if I find a good deal on a used one, I'll jump at it.

treezyz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:00 am

Re: Any Roland SP-404 fans here?

Post by treezyz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:45 am

i've tried the sp-303, 404sx, 505, 606, and settled on the 505. none of them are great for real complex stuff i use fl studio for that but for a fast, simple, fun unit for some lo-fi and boom bap the 505 fits the bill for me. the 404sx the sound wasn't really my thing and the $300 in my pocket was more meaningful than the sampler (got some alright monitors with the cash.) the 606 i couldn't stand the chop on. the 303 i like the sound (namely the vinyl sim on finished tracks) but the 505 is basically a pimped out 303 that costs less so that's my **** as far as the sp-line goes.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1433
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: Any Roland SP-404 fans here?

Post by Hugo76 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:19 pm

treezyz wrote:i've tried the sp-303, 404sx, 505, 606, and settled on the 505. none of them are great for real complex stuff i use fl studio for that but for a fast, simple, fun unit for some lo-fi and boom bap the 505 fits the bill for me. the 404sx the sound wasn't really my thing and the $300 in my pocket was more meaningful than the sampler (got some alright monitors with the cash.) the 606 i couldn't stand the chop on. the 303 i like the sound (namely the vinyl sim on finished tracks) but the 505 is basically a pimped out 303 that costs less so that's my **** as far as the sp-line goes.
Could you say some more about the sound of the SP404SX? I'm asking because I was thinking about getting one because of its non-compression

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 451
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:54 pm
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky
Contact:

Re: Any Roland SP-404 fans here?

Post by blavatsky » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:04 pm

the SP404SX sound is what-you-hear-is-what-you-get...it has no data compression and is very 'clean' sounding.
The 303 and 505 have lower bitrate A/D conversion (I think...) and in general sound a little grimier and lofi.
They also have a 'vinyl compression' type effect the 404SX lacks that people love , has a nice crunch and ducking compression sound common to (for example) some FlyLo and MadLib tracks...

That being said, the 404sx can get plenty lofi/grimey if you put in dusty/crusty samples, and is much much quicker to work with (swapping sounds/patterns, can backup entire banks at once, everything...). I sold my 505 and never looked back

(current samplers: 404sx/SP555/MV8800/ESX)

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1433
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: Any Roland SP-404 fans here?

Post by Hugo76 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:30 pm

blavatsky wrote:the SP404SX sound is what-you-hear-is-what-you-get...it has no data compression and is very 'clean' sounding.
The 303 and 505 have lower bitrate A/D conversion (I think...) and in general sound a little grimier and lofi.
They also have a 'vinyl compression' type effect the 404SX lacks that people love , has a nice crunch and ducking compression sound common to (for example) some FlyLo and MadLib tracks...

That being said, the 404sx can get plenty lofi/grimey if you put in dusty/crusty samples, and is much much quicker to work with (swapping sounds/patterns, can backup entire banks at once, everything...). I sold my 505 and never looked back

(current samplers: 404sx/SP555/MV8800/ESX)
Ok, thanks for your insights. When looking at a sampler, I'm after a clean non-coloured sound, so it sounds like my cup of tea, then :-)

Post Reply