WIDE Open - Akai S612 - Opinions?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Spike Vincent
Location: People's Republic of The Forest of Dean,and why isn't there a Welsh flag option?Eh?

Post by Spike Vincent » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:47 pm

My S 612 does sterling work as a doorstop.
Currently plugged in to the mixer :
Korg EA1,Korg MS10 and some shortwave radios.

translucencecs
Gear: In a transitional phase, so only:
Yamaha SY-22
Roland MC-09
Roland M-VS1
Zoom ST-224
Dubreq Stylophone
Fostex MR8

Post by translucencecs » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:08 pm

Spike Vincent wrote:My S 612 does sterling work as a doorstop.
I have a regular doorstop available, if you'd consider a direct trade...

Architecture
Gear: TR909, TR808 Dot Com, Moog LP. x0xb0x, Andromeda A6, AX60, SQ80, EPS, DSI PEK Pot Edition, ASR10, Juno 60.
Band: Architecture!

Post by Architecture » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:01 pm

I made a demonstration of the S-612 hooked up with the AX-60 on Sealed page that can give you an idea of how it can sound. I own both an S-950 and an S-612, and the S-612 is far more punchy and fat than the S-612 can hope to be.

http://homepage.mac.com/synth_seal/html/ar_ax60.html

My S-612 came with the MD280 which never worked to begin with. I used STEEM Atari emulator and the sample dumping program, and blamo!

Everybody needs an S-612.

Analog Freak

Post by Analog Freak » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:42 am

Architecture wrote:the S-612 is far more punchy and fat than the S-612 can hope to be.
Great, now I'm all confused. :)
"All Your Synthesizers Are Belong To Us!" Literally.

KLAXON

Post by KLAXON » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:54 am

Analog Freak wrote:
Architecture wrote:the S-612 is far more punchy and fat than the S-612 can hope to be.
Great, now I'm all confused. :)
Hehe, I read that too and had to do a double take. :lol:
.....i have some things that create and sculpt sound.

Architecture
Gear: TR909, TR808 Dot Com, Moog LP. x0xb0x, Andromeda A6, AX60, SQ80, EPS, DSI PEK Pot Edition, ASR10, Juno 60.
Band: Architecture!

Post by Architecture » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:04 pm

lol, my bad, I meant the S-612 has more punch than the S-950.

To many S-xxx's of you ask me.

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:42 pm

It's my favorite sampler. I want to eventually own 10 of them.

When I jam on it ... I usually just run a sequence from my MPC1000 .. and just start making sounds into the S612. Flick a 4 octave blip across the a random keyboard...overdub my voice... anything. play with the sliders and jam.

Nevermind the disk drive. Yet I've heard something about sampling it for odd modem like noise.

I never knew about the MIDI transfer thing. I usually use that thing in the heat of the moment.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:55 pm

OK, I haven't used the S-612. But you can get lovely crunchy classy sounds from a Yamaha TX16W or an Emax, both of which are cheap and more reliable. What is it about the S-612 sound?

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:12 pm

I'm not too into the sound as much as the interface. The start and end sliders are great. I like how live it is. I can have a MIDI sequencing loaded and playing, make sure the sliders are set to be short and tight .. then scream into mic .. and as soon as a I stop.. you got some jabbing 16th notes scatting at yah. fun stuff.

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:47 pm

i just prepared one of these for sale. its been a while since i sold the last, and i can honestly say that every time i play with one of these i fall in love with it again, so much so that i want to keep it. if space and time werent issues, then i definitely would.
if you want high fi, long samples, and lots of flexibility / MIDI options, get something else, but if you want a cool cheap low fi sampler with knobs thats tons of fun to play and great for unusual results, this sampler's great. i love the oversampling option and realtime loop time tweaking. if you ask me, this is a seriously undervalued and useful piece. but it really depends on what youre looking for in a sampler....
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave x3, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3

Post by calyx93 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:43 pm

Constantine wrote:I wonder if there are more 'vintage lo-fi' sounding samplers other than Akai S-xxx , and not something that takes a lot of space and priced tens of thousands dollars when first released :) ..?
There's always the venerable Ensoniq Mirage - the rack would be about the same size as the S612, and it's about as crunchy, lo-fi, cryptic, warm, bizarre, etc. as a sampler can get - pure and raw dirt and filth. Plus, it has the facilities that the S612 lacks (mutli-sampling, disk drive, resonant filters, etc. - just missing the knobs, oh well) - and they tend to be even cheaper than the S612
Last edited by calyx93 on Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave x3, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3

Post by calyx93 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:47 pm

minime123 wrote:i just prepared one of these for sale. its been a while since i sold the last, and i can honestly say that every time i play with one of these i fall in love with it again, so much so that i want to keep it. if space and time werent issues, then i definitely would.
if you want high fi, long samples, and lots of flexibility / MIDI options, get something else, but if you want a cool cheap low fi sampler with knobs thats tons of fun to play and great for unusual results, this sampler's great. i love the oversampling option and realtime loop time tweaking. if you ask me, this is a seriously undervalued and useful piece. but it really depends on what youre looking for in a sampler....
mini
Essentially, a poor-man's Emulator I :)
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

MPS
Band: Atomic Shadow

Post by MPS » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:01 pm

In my opinion the S-612 shines the brightest when you shove it through an AX-60. The two were sort of designed to work together. There is some instant wierd factor when you take a sample of a patch from the 60 into the 612 and run it back through the 60's filters and envelopes, layered with the orininal patch. I have also had some recent fun running some machine room recordings into the 612 and then running that thorough the grain shifting on the KP3.

So like any other piece of gear, it depends on how you use (and abuse) it.
http://www.atomicshadow.com/

A wall of dusty old junk, synths, and effects. Broadcasting live, from yesterday's world of tomorrow.

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:16 pm

the mirage is nowhere near as fun and useful as the s612, in my opinion. i cant say i ever had (anywhere near as much) fun testing a mirage. the s612 is much more playable. sorry! :)
theres a disk drive too, but its a separate unit. the one weve got isnt working though, and its not worth it for us to pay our tech to fix it.
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

calyx93

Post by calyx93 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:15 pm

minime123 wrote:the mirage is nowhere near as fun and useful as the s612, in my opinion. i cant say i ever had (anywhere near as much) fun testing a mirage. the s612 is much more playable. sorry! :)
theres a disk drive too, but its a separate unit. the one weve got isnt working though, and its not worth it for us to pay our tech to fix it.
mini
:lol: Oh, I never said that Mirage's were fun - quite the contrary. Only with these have I actually seen people's faces turn red with anger and frustration when delving deeper into the underlying architecture :) The suggestion of the Mirage was just a response to Constantine's question.