Are people still using Hardare Samplers?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
ChasIII
No Longer Registered

Are people still using Hardare Samplers?

Post by ChasIII » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:09 am

Are people still using Hardware Samplers or have they switched over to using software?

Is using a hardware sampler still a viable thing these days. Is it really worth having one?

What can a Hardware sampler do that a Sample Playback Synth can not do?

Do Hardware Samplers let the user use bigger size samples in a patch compared to what is typically used in Sample Playback Synths/Rompler patch?

Thanks.

toadmanxtro

Post by toadmanxtro » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:24 am

I am still using a S1000 for Hip Hop drums. Once a friend and I A/Bed a S1000 and a MPC3000 and the difference in sound quality was almost indistinquishable to us. Of course, you don't get the groove or pads with a S1000 but it is a lot more inexpensive. Eventually though I will just sample all of my drums to a software sampler and trigger them through a program for better work flow.

thisispainful

Post by thisispainful » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:50 am

anything is worth having if you enjoy using it.
i dont know i mean if someone is using harware or software its up to them.
theres a lot of super powerful samplers going so cheap now i think that some of the gear out there right now is a bargain.
for sure someone with a computer can take full advantage of software samplers wich are very nice to use.
i think that a hardware sampler is useful still if you are creative and enjoy working for them.
i think that over the next few years there will be new users who come up with new ideas on how to use these old beasts.
will a emu6400 ultra do as much as a modern software sampler.
no but it does make people think in a different way when using it.
sometimes that is a good thing.
alot of the dance music over the years has been created from gear wich was out of date at the time and cast off.
people just learned to use it differently and something new came from it.
i mean there was tons of vintage analog synths being sold off for nex to nothing up until people began to see them being used extensively in different new styles of music.
i dont know if samplers will ever be collectable like a tb303 or a tr808.
however i think that there will be people who want them and find them useful.

abrokenframe

Post by abrokenframe » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:51 am

yes
ARPPiano,ax60,cz101,cz3000,evolver,p08,emulatorII,mirage,esq1,r100,ddd1,dss1,dw8/6000,er1,lambda,microkorg,poly6,poly800,sr120,rhythmace,d50,d70,d110,hs60,jd800,jp8000,juno60,jupiter8,jx8p,rs09,rs202,tr727,drumtraks,cs50,cs6x,dx7,rx5,dr880,rhodes,b2

abrokenframe

Post by abrokenframe » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:52 am

yes, i love my samplers
ARPPiano,ax60,cz101,cz3000,evolver,p08,emulatorII,mirage,esq1,r100,ddd1,dss1,dw8/6000,er1,lambda,microkorg,poly6,poly800,sr120,rhythmace,d50,d70,d110,hs60,jd800,jp8000,juno60,jupiter8,jx8p,rs09,rs202,tr727,drumtraks,cs50,cs6x,dx7,rx5,dr880,rhodes,b2

Cruel Hoax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog Voyager, Roland V-Synth, Roland MC-909, Parker Nitefly, Master Room & Fostex Springverbs, Lexicon Vortex, Travel guitar, Acoustic guitar.
Band: Giorgio Moroder's Moustache

Wait, SK-1. Eight!

Post by Cruel Hoax » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:32 am

You have just wandered into the muscle-car garage and asked if anybody is still using four-barrel carbueretors.

f**k yes!

Using everything from a V-synth (new-school as all h**l) to Yamaha SU-10 (scratch ribbon, b***h!) with some Emus, Akais, Rolands and Korgs in there, too.

Not counting "sampling delays", there are seven hardware pieces capable of sampling in my music room.

-Hoax
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen

DX

Post by DX » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:08 am

I use my Akai S3000XL a lot.
I did choose software when I hadn't HD installed on my akai, but now, I prefer it instead my software sampler, because akais don't get crashed like computers (important thing talking about gigging).
Roland Promars, E-mu EMAX and some other machines...

kk994

Post by kk994 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:30 pm

No... I have 2 rack samplers sitting there and they don't get to see the light of day. I am thinking of getting an MPC or ESX though so maybe...

Analog Freak

Re: Wait, SK-1. Eight!

Post by Analog Freak » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:01 pm

Cruel Hoax wrote:You have just wandered into the muscle-car garage and asked if anybody is still using four-barrel carbueretors.

f**k yes!

-Hoax
Aw come on only one carbuerator? At least give me dual quads or a six pack setup.

Anyway, I use three hardware samplers, A Roland S-550, an Akai S-612, and a Casio SK-5 (bust a move, cracker!).
"All Your Synthesizers Are Belong To Us!" Literally.

Computer Controlled
No Longer Registered

Post by Computer Controlled » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:07 pm

Yup! E-MU ESi2000. Would to grab another Yamaha A4000/5000 though. I miss my 4000. It's sad when people ask if anyone still uses hardware. While softsamplers may be more powerful, hardware is far more faster to work with.

jonkull
Gear: Andromeda • Serge • Buchla

Re: Are people still using Hardare Samplers?

Post by jonkull » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:38 pm

ChasIII wrote:Are people still using Hardware Samplers or have they switched over to using software?
I use both. I've been using Battery for all my drums and my Kurzweil for 'real' instruments (strings, horns, guitars, etc). I REALLY miss my Akai S5000...
ChasIII wrote:Is using a hardware sampler still a viable thing these days. Is it really worth having one?
Depends on who you are. I like having a hardware sampler but other people love Kontakt...
ChasIII wrote:What can a Hardware sampler do that a Sample Playback Synth can not do?
Let you use your own samples...you're not limited to some engineer/programmers vision of the kinds of instrument samples people will want to use.
ChasIII wrote:Do Hardware Samplers let the user use bigger size samples in a patch compared to what is typically used in Sample Playback Synths/Rompler patch?
Yes. If I wanted to I could have a single patch that used 128MB worth of samples. Some ROMplers don't even have 128MB of samples in their entire ROM.

primative

Re: Are people still using Hardare Samplers?

Post by primative » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:55 pm

jonkull wrote:
ChasIII wrote:Are people still using Hardware Samplers or have they switched over to using software?
I use both. I've been using Battery for all my drums and my Kurzweil for 'real' instruments (strings, horns, guitars, etc). I REALLY miss my Akai S5000...
ChasIII wrote:Is using a hardware sampler still a viable thing these days. Is it really worth having one?
Depends on who you are. I like having a hardware sampler but other people love Kontakt...
ChasIII wrote:What can a Hardware sampler do that a Sample Playback Synth can not do?
Let you use your own samples...you're not limited to some engineer/programmers vision of the kinds of instrument samples people will want to use.
ChasIII wrote:Do Hardware Samplers let the user use bigger size samples in a patch compared to what is typically used in Sample Playback Synths/Rompler patch?
Yes. If I wanted to I could have a single patch that used 128MB worth of samples. Some ROMplers don't even have 128MB of samples in their entire ROM.
All Hailllll The Mighty K2000!
Whenever people agree with me I tend to feel I must be wrong.

translucencecs
Gear: In a transitional phase, so only:
Yamaha SY-22
Roland MC-09
Roland M-VS1
Zoom ST-224
Dubreq Stylophone
Fostex MR8

Post by translucencecs » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:43 pm

Totally... How else would someone who doesn't use software at all get samples into their work?

I use an E-Mu ESI-4000 - it rocks.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:58 pm

I use two SP-404s and an MPC1000. I don't like racks. I would love to own an Akai X3700.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Bill_Schroder

Post by Bill_Schroder » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:50 am

Absolutely. I love my S-12 and S-900. If I wanted pristine, clean samples I'd probably just use a software program though.
Ouch.