Are people still using Hardare Samplers?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
AudiosEnvy

Post by AudiosEnvy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:18 am

Mv8800 changed the way I run my studio. It's amazing.
Gear list, Studio Pics and Music on my MySpace:

www.MySpace.com/giohouse

[Official VA Hooker]

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:24 am

Of course. I love my EPS. Aside from sampling instruments, it's so much fun to sample songs or parts of songs from my iPod and play them back at different speeds!
soundcloud.com/vectron

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:30 am

JSRockit wrote:I use two SP-404s and an MPC1000. I don't like racks. I would love to own an Akai X3700.
dude, just buy a roland dj70.

if you dont like it, you could always sell it :wink: :lol:
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

aeon

Post by aeon » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:04 am

Yamaha A5000 and Roland S-760, fully blown! :D

cheers,
Ian

Spike Vincent
Location: People's Republic of The Forest of Dean,and why isn't there a Welsh flag option?Eh?

Re: Are people still using Hardare Samplers?

Post by Spike Vincent » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:38 pm

ChasIII wrote:Are people still using Hardware Samplers or have they switched over to using software?

Is using a hardware sampler still a viable thing these days. Is it really worth having one?

What can a Hardware sampler do that a Sample Playback Synth can not do?

Do Hardware Samplers let the user use bigger size samples in a patch compared to what is typically used in Sample Playback Synths/Rompler patch?

Thanks.
1.Yup.There appear to be quite a few here..
2.Not crash in a hot humid on stage environment.
3.Hold the studio door open.
4.I have no idea.
Currently plugged in to the mixer :
Korg EA1,Korg MS10 and some shortwave radios.

Raiven
Gear: See Signature.....
Band: Eventyde

Post by Raiven » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:45 pm

MV-8800!

I haven't productively used the sampler in the Triton Extreme yet.
Korg M3 (Fully Loaded), Blofeld Keyboard, MPC 2500 LE, (Monomachine), Logic Studio 8, Live 6, FM8, Absynth 4, Predator, Alpha3, Korg Legacy Collection, (Shioitor), Drumazon, Nepheton, Stylus RMX

http://www.myspace.com/eventydejams

fingerbib2000

Post by fingerbib2000 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:03 pm

i'm using the sampler on my RS7000 for drums.
i haven't used my A4000 in a long long time because it's so slow to load up samples, i'd love to use it more though, a great machine.
Sequential Circuits Pro-8, Rolands TB-303, MKS-80, JX-8P, SH-09. Waldorfs Microwave XT, Pulse. Yamahas RS7000, A4000, DX-200. 2 x Cheetah MS-6. Novations Supernova 1 & 2. Korg ER-1. Creamware Pulsar 2.

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, μWave (x2), Roland JP6+V-Synth+S-220, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3+K-3m, ARP Odyssey+Omni2, Emulator II+HD, Ensoniq Mirage.

Post by calyx93 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:06 pm

Daily Emax-II and Emulator II+HD user here - and I'll use them until they croak :)
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

piRoN
Gear: A fair bit.

Post by piRoN » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:29 pm

Daily S3000XL, EPS-m, and X7000 user here - and i'll use them 'til they croak, then repair 'em and use 'em again! No rest for the wicked.
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11

Sorcerio

Post by Sorcerio » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:07 pm

Couple of Akai S950's here. They get used on everything I do.

primative

Post by primative » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:47 am

K2000 for single shots and modlation/decimation of sound, battery/kontakt for serious drum samples/loops.

I.E, if you're looking to tailor backgrounds to your music, the current software samplers seem to come to mind. For true manipluation of individual sounds they need to be loaded into the K2000. Samples are compatible.
Whenever people agree with me I tend to feel I must be wrong.

Spadz
Gear: Samplers, Synths, Guitars, Yamaha recorder, Atari computer and an 18 year Glenlivet.

Post by Spadz » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:18 pm

My main synth is a E-mu E64. And i mean synth. I don't play with loops and stuff. I program my own sounds and the synth engine in these machines is just amazing.

Why use a hardware sampler? Because i'ts an instrument that i can put my hands on and touch. To me, using software synths is like having virtual sex : nothing beats the real thing, a real woman. In the end, they might produce a technically perfect sound, but it's just not musical besides the fact that they all sound the same. They all come from the same place, same converters and so on.

I tried the Emulator X to compare. It has lots of nice features, but it sounds like all the other soft synths and i would need to buy a laptop to carry it around.

I'm hobbyist today, and i'm a software engineer during the day. I don't feel like being in front of a computer when i'm doing music. I'm even thinking of dumping Cubase for audio and by a hardware multitracker and use the computer just for MIDI (if i don't find something else like a hardware sequencer i find nice). And i find that too many features, like in the sowftare world, affects my creativity. The less gizmos that do everything for you, the more you have to get creative to find a solution, which in turn forces you to use your brain and try things.

I've owned Akai's and Yamaha's samplers. I even had a Emulator III in my previous life (I still think it's THE best sounding sampler i have ever played with, but the Emu 4 are much more powerful at synth functions) . I have a Motif 6 which i use more as a rompler and main controller than as a sampler( it could do the trick if you plan to use lot's of loops).

If i could recommend something to you would be to get a hardware sampler you can resell without loosing money. IF you buy a software sampler, you will loose money if you resell it.
Try and see.
In the end, I guess it's all a mater of taste.
If you don't know what you are doing, why are you doing it?

xonox

Post by xonox » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:39 pm

I spend the day in front of a computer. I like to make music without a computer. I'm using a Fantom-X as my main sampler (and sequencer). It may not have the editiing options of software but it has many things i haven't found in software.

1. Quick interface. It might be slower to save/load samples but i love using a jog wheel to select regions to edit. Dedicated buttons = fun. Everything is like 2-3 button presses. I have memorized them easily so now i don't even think and barely look when doing routine operations. No need to poke around menus. I dislike using a mouse to click on tiny buttons on the screen.
2. Integration. I can record / edit / play everything in the same box. I think it can even split several single shot samples. I used to use reason but i had to use another software to edit the files. The samplers has limited patch editing. I have more modulation routings and synthesis structures in the Fantom.
3. It is not affected by OS updates or other things. I can't stand the idea of having to re-buy every software plug-in every 3 to 5 years. I'll keep this machine until it breaks and nobody in the world can't fix it anymore.
4. Quicker sampling. I just press 2-3 buttons and i can sample. 1 minute later, the sample has been edited and mapped to the keyboard. Of course the machine is slower when editing big samples. It won't normalize a 10mb sample as quick as a 2ghz computer. I find the overall process to be much faster for me on this machine tho.

I can't remember the other reason i thought up 10 minutes ago...

Kurzweil synths seem to have lots of editing options, more than the Fantom-X or anything else that's currently available.

As Spadz just said, it's all a matter of taste.

dnaflr2

Post by dnaflr2 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:58 am

I am curently using exs-24, gibson echoplex digital pro, and an SCI Prophet 2002. The only reason I keep around the SCI is because it's CEM's. Interface can suck, but the sound that comes out of it have more personality than any soft-sampler. Would recommend finding a hardware sampler that samples at lower bit rate ie- 8 or 12 bit, and wi/analog filters if you want some personality. If you just want your sampler to spit out exactly what you throw into it, stay with a soft sampler, or ne of the more recent Akai's.

hu-man

Post by hu-man » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:47 am

As soon as I get my ASR-10 working again, I will be a happy SOB!
I miss my battle-tank, heavy as h**l, ASR-10... especially the Amp Boost option, and the FX processor. Plus, I haven't hears ANYTHING with a better sampled piano sound than what the Ensoniq guys came up with!
Drop by, hear some music:
http://www.myspace.com/hu_man