Are people still using Hardare Samplers?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Re: Are people still using Hardare Samplers?

Post by th0mas » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:04 pm

novielo wrote:
th0mas wrote:I use my mpc1k to play the drum parts for my band electrovillain and I also use it to midi sequence my micron on a few parts for a few songs.

im going to start writing (and hopefully performing) solo which will consist of me, a microkorg, mpc1000, and my just-finished x0xb0x
good luck th0mas with that! you have great set-up like that. what will you play and what will be sequenced on your future shows?
hey novielo! :D

Most of the synth parts are played live. on our myspace pretty much everything is played live (except drums which I basically just hit play and then they play out). On a couple other songs we've yet to post I have a few sequences running so I can tweak or play a more complex part on the other hand. I feel a little silly with all of our tracks being, with the drums on the MPC, basically just hit-play-and-forget, but I figure we're all busy all of the time so it's not really a cop-out.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:30 am

In contrary to those gbyte sampling, I am now addicted to hardware sampling using the RS7k, MC-909 down to the SU10. It's just so much fun to play with those knobs and features on the machine. small kbyte/mono/low bit sampling with permanent storage/SM card are like unlimited even with only small size storage :wink:
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:06 pm

Laptops mean something different than having a hardware sampler live, and hardware samplers are in my experience more reliable
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:36 pm

th0mas wrote: hey novielo! :D

Most of the synth parts are played live. on our myspace pretty much everything is played live (except drums which I basically just hit play and then they play out). On a couple other songs we've yet to post I have a few sequences running so I can tweak or play a more complex part on the other hand. I feel a little silly with all of our tracks being, with the drums on the MPC, basically just hit-play-and-forget, but I figure we're all busy all of the time so it's not really a cop-out.
as long as they see you play the synth like this:

i'm pretty sure they won't mind that you're sequencing the drum parts.
i wish you best luck with your shows!!
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

loopwoletube
Gear: mpc 1000, mpc2000, mpc2500, boss sp 202, roland vs880, zoom mrs1266cd, vestax pdx2000s, microkorg, korg triton studio, adobe audition 1.5
Band: loopwhole

Post by loopwoletube » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:51 am

damn bro, dont smash the microkorg!

micromoog

Post by micromoog » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:37 am

...back to topic...

yes, i still use a lot hw-samplers

Emu EIII, EII, Emax
Roland S-760(2x), S-750 (2x), SP-700, S-550, S-330, W-30, MV-8000
Akai MPC-60, S1100
Ensoniq Mirage
SCI Prophet 2002

i love this machines!

i have also NI Kontakt, but i didn't use it really. There are a lot of advantages in handling but it sucks with synthetic sounds, it's to weak - without punch!

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:17 pm

I have started using a MPC 60 with a S 900...I just love the sound and it's a great drum machine combo.. :D
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:57 pm

I only work with hardware.

On live setups, hardware samplers are very affordable.
Besides, the combination of several samplers from different labels, made on different years, with different technologies, gives you a more heterogeneous audio spectrum, besides the mixture of these gear creates synergy, where you can manipulate sampled sounds on multiples ways under different concepts.

I use for my live acts, four samplers, two Roland SP 808ex, a Yamaha A4000, and a Korg Electribe ESX 1.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

djboomstick

Post by djboomstick » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:17 pm

hello

i have a bunch of them . . .

in order of aquisition :

akai s612 - my first sampler got it in the early 90s maybe 92 or 93
get a little use but not too often , only when i feel like i need to mess around a sound

roland s550 - i pretty much NEED this one , its a core part of my sound now that i have used it for so long

roland s330 - i good deal right time and price , so i went for it rather than an emu esi2000 , for ease of library sharing , i use it alot still

2000s

akai s900 - i accepted this instead of cash from a studio i did some programing and sound work for , i'm not sure if i ever used it or not outside that studio , i consider selling it from time to time

korg es - fun ! i have done tons of programing on this little beatbox , its a blast!

korg triton - i have the sampling memory expanded but i don't use that feature too much

korg esx - i thought it would be twice as fun as the es , but its been in repair most of the time i have had it. because its been such an ongoing string of problems with it , korg has been cool about not chargeing me for the repairs even though its well out of warentee now.
its been pretty well behaved since june or july when i got it back this last time . . . hopefully it will stay repaired this time . . .

emu esi200 , havent used it yet except to make sure its working , got it in an insane gear craving remembering how i allmost got one instead of the s330 , was cheep and i have an extra scsi drive for it so i think one day it will see some use, its supposed to have some unique effects/processing things it can do so i'm sure eventually something will get run thru it.

roland s760 - this summer i finally got one , ever since i realised how outstanding the s550 was i was hunting for a fully expanded like new s760 , at long last i found it

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Re:

Post by balma » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:53 pm

crystalmsc wrote:In contrary to those gbyte sampling, I am now addicted to hardware sampling using the RS7k, MC-909 down to the SU10. It's just so much fun to play with those knobs and features on the machine. small kbyte/mono/low bit sampling with permanent storage/SM card are like unlimited even with only small size storage :wink:

Same taste. It's so funny to have those machines, with so much differences between them, each one made for different tastes.

You have more variety and force you to be more creative, and you don't become so lazy downloading huge sample libraries.

I love to travel with a portable sampler and a mic, and record sounds everywhere.

Disadvantage in most of the hardware samplers is limited storage, but there are a few, like the ROLAND SP 808, wich can sample 1 hour stereo on a zip disk.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.

esqoner

Post by esqoner » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:51 pm

just got an e-synth keyboard.

freaking great.

money problems just came knocking though...

this always happens. always.

except when i buy cheap stuff
the little green buttons make the little

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:03 am

balma wrote:each one made for different tastes.
that's also how I feel about those samplers. like one is made for a different workflow. some is more musical while the other is more powerful.
balma wrote:Disadvantage in most of the hardware samplers is limited storage
true, but sometime the smaller got flash ram in it.
balma wrote:ROLAND SP 808
that's one great sampler that I'd like to get (the ex version) one day. seems like the dual d-beam applied best there with some effect types missing in the MC-909, with nice mono synth and step modulator too.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:07 pm

Before getting one, consider these facts...

SP 808ex advantages and disadvantages (IMO):

CONTRAS:

Noisy zip drive. That bzzzzzzzzzzz mades me nuts sometimes, and I have two....
Only 4 poly.
There are no "patches" samples are not editable, no LFO, no filter, amp attack or decay, etc. There is no rompler synthesis on them. They are just phrase samplers.
Changing from bank to bank takes a little bit.
Can assign only 1effect at the time.
They do not storage Sysex.

PROS:
Big storage capability : 1 hour stereo with the 250MB drive
can sample several sources at the same time.
with the optional SCSI board, can sample digital and optical too.
GREAT effect section. This is the best feature on the SP 808ex. The COSM effects even kick the V synth effect sections. One of the best effect section on all Roland gear ever. Huge, 150 effects, with 150 location for user effects. EACH ONE of all the parameters on the effect section can be assigned to a controller. Fully twekeable. Delays are so variated and complex, you won't search more delays effects having a SP 808ex.

For chopping, editing, copy/paste functions, is the fastest sampler I ever seen. Duplicating a sample and editing it, won't take aditional memory. You just hold the clipboard button and the sample, and you copy it instantly, and can traslate it to another location without the bothering message: "please wait....". Organizating huge libraries of samples is quite fast. Great for loops, or beat samples.

I usually have one connected to my PS3 and DVD. suddenly an interesting sound appears, and I capture it on the SP 808. Their long memory makes them helpful as simple sound recorders.
They are very original samplers, and VERY functional for specific purposes.

hematurge
Gear: PC , Axiom 25, Roland SP-404, Zoom MRT-3, Boss DR-660
Band: the hematurge

Post by hematurge » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:35 am

Now is really a great to get into to hardware samplers. They seem to be getting cheaper by the week. The SP line from Roland are all pretty good for starters. The 303, 404, and 555 don't even have menus. Everything is accessed via simple button sequences and combinations.

I use a Boss SP-303 now, though I've owned the SP-404, Akai S20, and ASR-X Pro. Hardware samplers are more comfortable for music making IMO. There's nothing like em to induce creativity.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:26 am

balma wrote:They are very original samplers, and VERY functional for specific purposes.
thank you for the informations. I actually already aware about some of the cons of the unit:
- The Zip Drive. Have you seen the pictures in the SP-808 yahoo group, that someone is successfully installing a hard drive in it? Seems like it's so hard to get the SD card drive for the unit, that would make the it work even faster with less noise. the Zip thing is one of the thing that keeping me on hold for this. If only the SCSI would store samples to other normal scsi storage.
- No patches. I'm fine with that, since the MC-909 is handling that part. Just want to got it mainly for the fx, audio recording function (with long storage), additional fast working one shot/phrase/loop sampler. 4 voices is fine.