Live sampler that is cheap but good????

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Damo303

Live sampler that is cheap but good????

Post by Damo303 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:17 pm

I’m looking for a cheap sampler such as the Korg ES1 for a live setup. Any cheap alternatives to the Korg ES1 that is easily portable and good for triggering loops and samples.

I already have a Korg EMX in my setup so I didn’t really want to limit myself to another Korg instrument.

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:36 pm

cheap alternatives to the ES1? ES1 is about as cheap as they come

PitchBender
Gear: 4 electribes and a case of beer.
Band: Pigslice

Post by PitchBender » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:58 pm

I dont think the ES-1 is particularly good for triggering samples. Yes, you can do it, but it is more phrase/groove-box machine. Keep in mind the little memory it has as well. Just make sure you know the ES-1 is a cheap sampler and very limited and that there are alternatives.
Unfortunately I don't really have any good hands on advice for alternatives.

Sorcerio

Post by Sorcerio » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:17 am

Check out the Yamaha SU-700. It's the business!!!

fuckrapsputin

Post by fuckrapsputin » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:25 am

you should look at a Boss SP303 Dr Sample or Roland SP404 sampler... although it seems pretty much every post i've made so far on this forum is advocating their use...

great phrase sampler for using live with loops and what not. Not gonna give you much use if you want it to do mad sequences or anything, but if it is to play a loop or vocal sample or what ever else then no dramas.

the sp303 should be dirt cheap now the 404 has replaced it. the main advantages of the 404 is it can take upto 1gig compact flash (no load times, turn it on with the card in and its good to go) where as the 303 could only have upto 64meg smart media (which isn't very smart) and they have killer lofi dirty effects and the 404 can run for about 6 hours on 6 AA batteries...

they're a good time, i use both live to great results.... BUT i don't really have much experience with other samplers... so i dunno
gear: Barry Manilow's Greatest Hits

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:24 pm

Unfortunately, the SP-303 held its value on ebay (high 200s) due to its preference in underground hip-hop (madlib, flying lotus, etc)... so, the 404 is the better buy and machine. It is the perfect sampler for loops and one shot triggered samples... and can hold huge samples...even whole albums of songs, with a 1gb card. You can get a new SP-404 for $329-349 if you ask around (novamusik).
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

ewblank

Post by ewblank » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:27 pm

If you're looking for cheap and portable - it doesn't get cheaper or more portable than the Yamaha SU-10. It's the size of a VHS tape and I'm sure you can find them for under $100.

It's pretty lo-fi, though. Think of it as an slightly more modern Casio SK-1 and you'll get the picture. So as long as you're not looking for super high quality samples quality, it'll do in a pinch.

I have one that I've used for noise/experimental stuff - and it does what I need it to do.

cheers,
ew
Synths and gear I own: Juno-6, Moog Rouge, Yamaha FB-01, Boss DR-110 & TR-505, Casio SK-1, Yamaha AN200, Roland D2, Korg ER-1, various mini-kybds and home-made circuit bent thingies.

ascdi

Post by ascdi » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:12 pm

i hate to make a super-selfish post, but i am selling an akai s-20 if that's up your alley, or if you want to know more about it. otherwise, please ignore me!

peter