MPC 500 Pros/Cons

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed May 16, 2007 6:09 pm

You may be better off with the QY70 or QY100 than an MPC for your needs... If you like to make the base of your tracks off of samples... like hip-hop... then the MPC500 or Roland SP-404 is the way to go... if not, the QY or LSDJ is the better choice... or something like this:

http://www.chocopoolp.com/bj_index.php
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Tofuik

Post by Tofuik » Wed May 16, 2007 8:49 pm

JSRockit wrote:You may be better off with the QY70 or QY100 than an MPC for your needs... If you like to make the base of your tracks off of samples... like hip-hop... then the MPC500 or Roland SP-404 is the way to go... if not, the QY or LSDJ is the better choice... or something like this:

that damn software has tempted me to get a newer palm pilot every time I hear it mentioned. It looks like a whole lot of fun.
the cheese stands alone

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed May 16, 2007 10:30 pm

JSRockit wrote:You may be better off with the QY70 or QY100 than an MPC for your needs... If you like to make the base of your tracks off of samples... like hip-hop... then the MPC500 or Roland SP-404 is the way to go... if not, the QY or LSDJ is the better choice... or something like this:

hmmm.. in that short space if time I may have answered my own question-I just bought an LSDJ cartidge... Oddly, I almost immediately regret my decision :cry: but at the same time, I don't think I was quite ready to shell out $500 for the MPC, and although LSDJ cost me roughly what the qy70 would, there's something more appealing about dirty 4-bit square waves than the ubiquitous AWM samples of the yammie (even if they sound good).
I've used the LSDJ demo before, and it was fun, but I think it was the glamor of portable-producing on the GB that appealed to me most, rather than the "chip-tune" sound. Ah well... I've give it a go and see how it goes. I can always resell!
Do you even post on vse bro?

shagghie

Post by shagghie » Wed May 16, 2007 11:52 pm

SP-404 is worth the price for the effects alone. The sampling and midi on it are just cherries on top, IMO. It's like a cross between a Kaos Pad and an MPC-500... the audio range is excellent, and the effects sound really really good. The onboard mic is c**p and hollow tin can sound....there's no good way to use it. But piping realtime audio through the 404 is a joy! An mpc 500 with an SP404 together would make a fun combo, even if largely redundant on the sampling side. THe SP-404's effects are far superior to my ears than the Kaos Pad 3's effects, more musical, and far more tweakable via the 4 konbs up top on the SP-404. $.02