Good or Bad Deal? Emulator I

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
synthgeek5108

Good or Bad Deal? Emulator I

Post by synthgeek5108 » Wed May 09, 2007 6:36 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/E-MU-Emulator-I-EMU ... dZViewItem

he says that some components are broken, but I figure that if I buy it, I could just replace the disc drive with an old IBM drive.

would it be worth it?
Boss: Dr-550, DR-3
Casio: VL-Tone
E-mu: Emax II
Ensoniq: KS-32, SQ-1
Korg: microKorg, Poly-800
Roland: JX-3P, Juno 106

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Re: Good or Bad Deal? Emulator I

Post by Neonlights84 » Wed May 09, 2007 6:55 am

synthgeek5108 wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/E-MU-Emulator-I-EMU ... dZViewItem

he says that some components are broken, but I figure that if I buy it, I could just replace the disc drive with an old IBM drive.

would it be worth it?
Not from what i heard man. I heard EII's are ok, but that EIII's are still to this day the s**t.
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

synthgeek5108

Re: Good or Bad Deal? Emulator I

Post by synthgeek5108 » Wed May 09, 2007 8:09 am

Neonlights84 wrote:Not from what i heard man. I heard EII's are ok, but that EIII's are still to this day the s**t.
I am aware of the other emulators, but I'm asking if it would be worth buying, for this model.

jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 » Wed May 09, 2007 8:16 am

I think replacing the disc drive isn't quite as easy as you think. I don't believe you can jst shove any floppy drive in there and expect it to work.

http://www.emulatorarchive.com/Samplers ... rview.html
Check out emulatorarchive. Plenty of info there.

I would'nt buy an Emulator I but that's just me. :D

gs

Post by gs » Wed May 09, 2007 4:34 pm

The Emulator I is pretty much now just a collector's piece. Even compared to mid 80s "affordable" samplers like the Mirage, it is truly lacking in the post-sample-processing department (envelopes, LFO, filtering, etc.) and I'm not even sure if you can loop a section of a sample on it. But it could be a fun little project for you if you don't mind making room for a 100+ lb. doorstop in your studio. :lol:
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Wed May 09, 2007 4:45 pm

You'd be mad to buy any CPU based 80's gear unless you're a serious collector. You cannot find the parts for these synths anymore unless you find a scrapper to salvage. Obsolete gear like old samplers are more hassle than they’re worth so you’d have to be a serious collector to bother in my mind.

synthgeek5108

Post by synthgeek5108 » Wed May 09, 2007 6:46 pm

Soundwave wrote:You cannot find the parts for these synths anymore unless you find a scrapper to salvage.
he says that the floppy disc drive is the only thing, not working. I have like 3 Shugart drives, in my house that would work perfectly with the Emulator.

It's going for a pretty cheap price, so I think I'll get it.

thanks for the advice.
M

akira_smith
Band: Perfect Kiss

Post by akira_smith » Wed May 09, 2007 7:53 pm

GET IT!!!
forget about ppl saying its old out dated... trust me they dont know what the h**l they are talking about..
its like calling a minimoog or a prophet 5 outdated. just cause its a sampler they dont give it credit//

theres a reason ""everyone under mother Reagan's regime ahahaha"" used it... not only because it was the first resonable priced sampler...but BECAUSE IT SOUNDS GREAT! ...ppl can complain about memory and looping and other features..... but its the sound that counts /// my eII will blow away any akai...ensoniq...and sequential sampler....lol

thats a great price too... including those disks!
i hate how most ppl try to sell their junk synths for over $300 just cause of the make and model.GREEDy!!

but it seems like this guy is pretty cool.. he knows its broken and is selling it resonably to someone who will give it a good home.
most fakeass punk a*s scammer ebay sellers would have just said... SOLD AS IS without futher info//shady bastards.

and that link that jupiter8 provided to the "emulator archives" has pretty detailed instructions on how to replace the drive.
they also sell the drives as well as other parts/
anything synthesized

memo

Post by memo » Wed May 09, 2007 8:04 pm

akira_smith wrote:GET IT!!!
forget about ppl saying its old out dated... trust me they dont know what the h**l they are talking about..
its like calling a minimoog or a prophet 5 outdated. just cause its a sampler they dont give it credit//

theres a reason ""everyone under mother Reagan's regime ahahaha"" used it... not only because it was the first resonable priced sampler...but BECAUSE IT SOUNDS GREAT! ...ppl can complain about memory and looping and other features..... but its the sound that counts /// my eII will blow away any akai...ensoniq...and sequential sampler....lol
Your Emulator II has very nice analog filters, and definitely has a classic sound.

But the Emulator I has no filters, and doesn't sound very good at all - even back then, it wasn't prized for its sound. It was prized because it cost 1/10th the price of a Fairlight.

As GS said, it's pretty much just a historic/collectors piece nowadays. The E II and E III models still have their uses, but the first Emulator isn't recommended unless you're collecting old samplers.

akira_smith

Post by akira_smith » Wed May 09, 2007 8:25 pm

i actually thought it only lacked the VCA/ADSR to control envelopes..

and i read this on the emulator archives page

"What no VCF ? The Emulator has just a simple low pass filter on each voice with just one control - cutoff ! There is no traditional filter envelope or Q control. So JLCooper designed a retro fit for a 24dB filter and dual ADSR envelope's. This was known as the Generator Modulator or Gen Mod. It was fitted on to the top surface of the casing, on the right hand side of the disk tray."

the genMod was put on emulator I with 8 voices... the early 2 & 4 voice models lack it.

but thanks for that info... i wasn't aware the early emulators didn't have the 24dB filters...crazy!

i would still get it..
anything synthesized

Zonkout
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Salad Shooter, Flowbee, Marsona 1200, Jetta TDI, Original Jams, VCR
Band: Low Red Center

Post by Zonkout » Wed May 09, 2007 9:17 pm

Some of those sample disks sound hilarious:
"
Strip joint
News Flash
Hernando's Hide-a-way
Havok's Acoustic Drum Bonanza
Rumble Drums
Here's Mondo #1
Lucy, I'm Home
Killer Whats Its
"
I think the most I'd pay for a broken Emulator 1 is about $100. It is at $200 now and will probs end at nearly twice that. Too risky for that price.

KLAXON

Post by KLAXON » Wed May 09, 2007 9:27 pm

You do realize that by posting the link here you probably just quadrupled the final selling price of it, right?
.....i have some things that create and sculpt sound.

cbjlietuva
Gear: Roland Juno 6 · Rhodes 73 Suitcase · Fender '63 jBass · Fender Strat+ · Casio SK1

Post by cbjlietuva » Wed May 09, 2007 9:45 pm

ha-

i bet that would be cool to have on stage- with the big type on the back that says: EMULATOR
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...Star Wars on Laserdisc

elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Post by elmosexwhistle » Wed May 09, 2007 10:04 pm

i'd gut it and make it into a cool midi controller...yes, i am satan :p x

akira_smith

Post by akira_smith » Wed May 09, 2007 11:03 pm

cbjlietuva wrote:ha-

i bet that would be cool to have on stage- with the big type on the back that says: EMULATOR

my band the perfect kiss.
anything synthesized