Emu Emulator II Software

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Tardis

Emu Emulator II Software

Post by Tardis » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:20 am

I just bought, well actually... stole an Emulator II for $5 at a garage sale.
It's a single drive version, it doesn't have an OS disk, or any disks for that matter, and it won't work without an OS boot disk.
It has the extra 34 pin drive plug on the interface cable to add an additional drive, and I'm considering adding a 3.5 DS/DD drive.

Now a few questions...

Anyone here have a copy of the OS on 5.25 floppy?
Can a bootdisk be made for the 3.5 drive?
Or do I have to use the exsisting 5.25 for booting?

Any info on the Emulator II would be much appreciated. Thanx...

"When natural inclination develops into a passionate desire, one advances towards his goal in seven-league boots." ~Nikola Tesla~

mr_m0nks

Post by mr_m0nks » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:25 am

how come i can never find decent gear like that for that kind of price??

im going to go sulk,
Alesis Ion, Korg Poly800II, Akai S1000, CommodoreC64, Nintendo Gameboy and various software Synths.
http://www.myspace.com/thesilentjihad

Listening to far to much Yazoo

Tardis

Post by Tardis » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:30 am

mr_m0nks wrote:how come i can never find decent gear like that for that kind of price??

im going to go sulk,
Trust me, you're not missing out on anything. I'm preparing myself to spend money on this thing, and I don't even know if it's fully functional yet :D

I already took it apart, found a bent/misplaced chip, fixed it, and it still does nothing, but it is much quieter now. I don't know if that's necessarily a good thing or not lol. I'm green when it comes to program/OS based synths.
"When natural inclination develops into a passionate desire, one advances towards his goal in seven-league boots." ~Nikola Tesla~

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:02 am

My god, but still, an Emulator for $5.... that would never happen over here. Even Oxfam check ebay for prices.

Good luck with fixing it.

Strangenono
Gear: Alesis Fusion 6hd
Roland Jx10
Yamaha SY77
Band: Technoir

Post by Strangenono » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:47 am

Congratulation Tardis, you just made one of your best bid of a lifetime, great machine...
My brother and I used to have an Emulator II a long time ago for our birthday and as far as I remember, some 5.25 floppies are still hiding under the roof. As soon as I can I check it and if I find OS floppies and sound disk I tell you and send it to you.

Tardis

Post by Tardis » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:31 pm

Strangenono wrote:Congratulation Tardis, you just made one of your best bid of a lifetime, great machine...
My brother and I used to have an Emulator II a long time ago for our birthday and as far as I remember, some 5.25 floppies are still hiding under the roof. As soon as I can I check it and if I find OS floppies and sound disk I tell you and send it to you.
That would be great. Let me know if you find the software, and how much you want for it shipped. Thanks Strangenono.

There appears to be a chip missing...and of course a bent chip which I already fixed.

I don't know if E-Mu just omitted the chip, or if the previous owner removed it for some reason.

Here's the plug-in for adding the second drive...

Finding hard parts isn't difficult, but I'm not sure what chip goes in that empty slot...

Roberto
Gear: Fairlight CMI Series III|Alesis Fusion|Akai S6000-Z8-MPC1000-MPC500-MPK49|Korg Prophecy|Yamaha DTXpress|Roland SC88VL|Behringer UMA25S|Synsonics
Band: Failed Muso

Post by Roberto » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:56 pm

Speak to this guy....

http://dvdborn.blogspot.com/

He's a bit of an Emulator expert :)

Strangenono
Gear: Alesis Fusion 6hd
Roland Jx10
Yamaha SY77
Band: Technoir

Post by Strangenono » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:33 pm

I ' m so sorry Tardis, I went there and found my old disk box totally wet and all the floppies not usable. They 've not been used since 1992 when I got a Emax II to replace the emulator on stage.... Once again forgive me

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:19 pm

The emulator two has some empty sockets on purpose.

sandwich

Post by sandwich » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:24 pm

You probably already know it but have you tried here:

http://www.emulatorarchive.com/Archives ... rview.html

I found this site because I have an Emax and have found the site very useful. He has all sorts of archive material including OS disks.

Tardis

Post by Tardis » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:39 pm

I finally got some discs from Northstar Productions, and the EII doesn't work :( When I put a disc in I hear the drive turning, but the drive light does not come on, actually it has never come on. The drive still turns even without a disc inserted too, hmmm. I'm guessing the drive is bad??? The display says "Emulator II Boot In Progress" but never boots, hmmm.... I'm stumped on this one. Anyone here have experience with Emulator II's? I'd like to get this thing going. What's my next step???

baschyn
Gear: EIII, EII, P5 rev2, Prophet VS,VP-330, OB-8, TR808,606, MPC 3000. PolyEvolver.

EII

Post by baschyn » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:55 pm

You can buy new disk drives online, but I'd get it serviced anyway. In Chicago we have Midwest Music Menders. They have worked on my EIII's and will work on my EII when the time comes.

Tardis

Re: EII

Post by Tardis » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:19 am

baschyn wrote:You can buy new disk drives online, but I'd get it serviced anyway. In Chicago we have Midwest Music Menders. They have worked on my EIII's and will work on my EII when the time comes.
Awesome! Thanks for the info...
I suppose I can ship the drive to them and have it serviced then right?
Let me know, Thanks again...

baschyn
Gear: EIII, EII, P5 rev2, Prophet VS,VP-330, OB-8, TR808,606, MPC 3000. PolyEvolver.

Post by baschyn » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:46 am

I'd ship or drive the board to them. Peace of mind is good with these machines. They know what they are doing. I've spent so much over the years on my first EIII, but it's worth it. The EII I got a few months ago has both size floppies. The smaller one on mine does not work either. You should be able to put a sound disk in and then it boots. Do you have any? Mine came with 150! if you can beleive it.

Tardis

Post by Tardis » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:29 am

My EII didn't come with any software. I purchased 5 discs from Northstar to test it. I learned a lot about these machines from the Emulator Archive pages. My EII is #53 off the line and has 1 floppy with the extra cables for a 2nd drive. Serial #460 and below used a RS232 interface. I need to upgrade to RS 422 for it to work with an old Mac. The display is getting hard to read too. Basically, like all the gear I buy, this thing needs restored :lol: When I looked up Music Menders I saw a few different phone numbers and address'. Which Music Menders did you take your Emu to?