akai s3000 wav to akai pc software? anything that works!?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

akai s3000 wav to akai pc software? anything that works!?

Postby fletriste » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:31 am

just downloaded akai disk which comes with the health warning about any windows after 98... unfortunately my v/ old vaio (which has built in floppy drive :) :) :)....) has XP. :( and low and behold... akaiDisk doesn't load.

surely there is something simple and effective out there...

the akaiDisk functionality looks sweet - straight up swap from pc to akai floppy.

job done. if it works.
fletriste

Postby nathanscribe » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:08 pm

Yep, I had problems with my XP PC with Akaidisk too. The software would run, but not communicate very well with the disk drive, resulting in failed floppies all round.

In the interest of craziness and things being like they were in the old days, I built a 'new' computer from spare parts (dual floppy drives too) and stuck DOS 5.0 on it. Akaidisk worked on that, but I found the command lines cumbersome. Installing Windows 3.0 has saved the day. Honestly, it's easier than falling over, and the files load up on the akai perfectly. There's no extra data, just the sound, so you have to shape the envelopes etc. on the Akai.

You could use Bootmagic or something to install another OS on your PC. I used to run 95 as well for the sake of older software, but lost it when I upgraded the HD. That way, you can select which OS you want to run when you start up. Or buy a cheap old machine just for the job. Lots about, but bulky.

As for other software, IIRC there's teledisk (not sure if that has the correct functionality though, never used it). A little info can be found here, here and here, though you probably have seen some of this already.

Hope that helps :)
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby fletriste » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:30 pm

thanks for that - i have tried booting from a 98 boot up on the xp... it seems to be working well for akaidisk... but not so well for the machine - saying the c drive isn't the correct fat format.... so i cant access the c drive! any ideas?
fletriste

Postby Tidda » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:22 pm

Has anyone tried installing 98 on a 'virtual pc' (using Innotek's VirtualBox or MS's VirtualPC) and running the akai software from there?
I believe both programs are free.

Tidda
Tidda

Postby nathanscribe » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:31 am

fletriste wrote:thanks for that - i have tried booting from a 98 boot up on the xp... it seems to be working well for akaidisk... but not so well for the machine - saying the c drive isn't the correct fat format.... so i cant access the c drive! any ideas?

With Boot magic/Partition magic you can reallocate space on your drive to cope with having 2 OSs installed. I'm not much of a PC person these days and I've forgotten half of the little I knew anyway, but it's an option that worked for me. You can also decide what format you partitions are in. I can't help much further, sorry.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby piRoN » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:53 am

fletriste wrote:thanks for that - i have tried booting from a 98 boot up on the xp... it seems to be working well for akaidisk... but not so well for the machine - saying the c drive isn't the correct fat format.... so i cant access the c drive! any ideas?

Your hard drive is most likely formatted as the usual NTFS format that XP uses. Windows 98 will only read FAT16/FAT32 formatted drives.
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11
piRoN

Gear: A fair bit.

Postby fletriste » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:59 pm

the vaio i'm using as my sample prep machine is well old - hence the floppy drive. it doesnt seem to have the memory to use ms virtual pc.. :(

cool edit 2 claims to run on '98 so i think ill re format the old timer on '98 (if i can find a copy on the net..)

and then i get cep II + akaiDisk..... fingers crossed...
fletriste

Postby fletriste » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:12 pm

.... speaking of which...
anyone know of the best P2P s/w for my windows '98 finding needs...?
fletriste

Return to Samplers