MPC 1000 pads suck!

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
amidst

MPC 1000 pads suck!

Post by amidst » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:40 pm

I finally got an MPC of my own after a long debate over which model to get. I ended up deciding on the 1000 after getting advice from the forum, but now I'm really disappointed as one of the pads has gone bad. It still works but requires a ton of pressure. Even with full levels on, the mixer maxed and the velocity curves/sensitivity adjusted to their highest/most sensitive levels, the pad still refuses to cooperate.

I bought a replacement pad from mpcstuff.com but I'm afraid to deal with the soldering, and I refuse to do the foil trick since I plan on reselling this thing ASAP. I'll at least repair it before I toss it into someone else's hands though since I have the decency to do so. I'm wondering if there's a place I can take it that has people who can solder. I was thinking Radioshack might be a good bet, but I don't know for sure. Also, I was considering Guitar Center.

Has anyone found a good place to get their pads fixed? I don't want to ship it out somewhere.

I'm probably getting a 2000xl after I get rid of this thing. I don't think JJ OS can even make up for the crappy a*s pads, the junky build quality and the poor, cluttered arrangement of the buttons. It makes me mad just looking at it :evil:

Does anyone think I'm crazy? Please tell me and save me the hassle if I'm being ridiculous.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:24 am

Did you buy it second hand? If so it's not surprising that at least one of the pads was bad.

Sounds like what you really want is a 2500. (crappy a*s pads, the junky build quality and the poor, cluttered arrangement of the buttons) A 2000XL is a huge step backwards in everything except the pads, I think you'd regret buying one of them just as much. If you can't afford a 2500 I'd just fix the pad on your 1000 and then use it. I'm sure you'll like it more when you're not having problems with the pads.

JB
Gear: K2500RS + KDFX, K2600R, 2 x DMTi, KSP8, Capybara 320, DSI Mono Evolver Kbd, DeepBase9, Powercore Firewire + Virus, Yamaha TX81z & 03d

Post by JB » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:20 am

I honestly prefer the smaller, tighter pads on the 1000 (and I've been through a few "MPC"s over the years: 60, 2000, 3000, Linn9000 and MPD16).

To me, the 1000 is the perfect unit; small enough to move in & out of the studio without too much hassle & powerful enough (40Gb internal HD, 2Gb CF, 128Mb RAM & additional JJ features).....

plus my pads have been problem-free (touch wood).
Edit: My 1000 is a later black version
Last edited by JB on Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amidst

Post by amidst » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:31 am

I guess everyone's got their own preferrence when it comes to anything. But yeh, I tried the pads on the XL and they felt amazing in comparison. I'm really getting swayed towards the MCD model with the built-in flash drive. The USB connectivity with the 1000 is nothing to write home about anyway. I was excited about it until I finally had the MPC and realized how slow the process really is. I don't think it would take too much longer to just swap a flash card back and forth.

Is the JJ OS really all that it's cracked up to be? What exactly is it that makes it the hype?

I'm going to read up on it some more, of course, but if anyone cares to fill me in on what specific JJ features make the 1000 so much better, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I just found out that mpcstuff.com has a supposed pad fix for the 1000. They claim that their 180 dollar pad kit can make the 1000 feel like the classic MPCs, get rid of that stiff feel and put and end to the dying pad problem. Can anyone confirm this yet? If it works, I might just scratch the XL altogether, even though I'm kind of iffy about the whole do-it-yourself installation.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:19 am

Just to weigh in.... I've had mine about 6 months without pad problems either. It is the black version.

ulfeide

Post by ulfeide » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:53 pm

if i were you, i'd rather spend $200 on this than shelling out way more for an xl:

these are the just released pad-upgrades akai as come out with. they're the same design as the 2500/500 pads, from the same brand, sensitronics, and should last you a long time.

what makes the jj os better is more than just one thing. for me it's having mtc, ring modulation, simult-pad assign, a gui that's easier on the eyes and last, but certainly not the least if not the biggest, it adds much more stability to the machine.
while the old os would go to h**l easily if you switched menues too fast and have saving bugs, the jj os has none of that.
i am of course speaking of the paid version of the os.
why not take a look for yourself here and judge it for yourself? in my opinion it was one of the best purchases i've made for years.
http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000

cluttered arrangement of buttons? uh... ok... are you meaning cramped arrangement of buttons? i've never found the menues to be cluttered as they're quite logically laid out for the newbeginner, as that was what the mpc1000 had as its targetgroup when it was released.

but in all honesty, if you're so dissatisfied as you seem to be, buy the mpc 2500 and get the jj os for that machine. i think you'll like it quite much.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:28 pm

ulfeide wrote:if i were you, i'd rather spend $200 on this than shelling out way more for an xl:

these are the just released pad-upgrades akai as come out with. they're the same design as the 2500/500 pads, from the same brand, sensitronics, and should last you a long time.

what makes the jj os better is more than just one thing. for me it's having mtc, ring modulation, simult-pad assign, a gui that's easier on the eyes and last, but certainly not the least if not the biggest, it adds much more stability to the machine.
while the old os would go to h**l easily if you switched menues too fast and have saving bugs, the jj os has none of that.
i am of course speaking of the paid version of the os.
why not take a look for yourself here and judge it for yourself? in my opinion it was one of the best purchases i've made for years.
http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000

cluttered arrangement of buttons? uh... ok... are you meaning cramped arrangement of buttons? i've never found the menues to be cluttered as they're quite logically laid out for the newbeginner, as that was what the mpc1000 had as its targetgroup when it was released.

but in all honesty, if you're so dissatisfied as you seem to be, buy the mpc 2500 and get the jj os for that machine. i think you'll like it quite much.
Hmmm... If I'd known that was on the way I might not have sold mine a couple of months ago...

Oh well, Boom Chik shouldn't be too far off now. :)

amidst

Post by amidst » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:15 pm

I already knew about the pad upgrade.. but from watching the video, I felt like the mpcstuff guy was BSing a bit. When he hit the pads they didn't seem as "perfect" as he was claiming. h**l, he said he didn't even use the 1000. I wonder why that is.. HMMM.

So yeah, my mpc is on ebay now. I'm saying good riddance to it. I'll be getting an XL soon. I'll probably wait until I see one with the harddrive included. If the XL sucks then I'll resell it for what I paid and consider the extra fees as rental cost. I can always go back to the 1000 if I have to.

I plan to do a lot of my sound-editing work on my PC so I feel like JJ OS is something I can live without. Better pads are more important to me. I'll upgrade to a 2500 when I can afford it.

Yester Lenium

"New" generation Akai stuff doesn't seem as...

Post by Yester Lenium » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:53 pm

Has anyone tried the Roland SP-606 sampling drum machine?

desdinova

Post by desdinova » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:55 pm

Passed by an SP-606 on my way to oogling the MC-808 for an hour.
It's not exactly aimed at the MPC crowd like the sp606 was, but damn that thing is hot.
rerum concordia discors | genre: wankery

megawatt

Post by megawatt » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:14 pm

sorry to add this but the pads on my old blue and red model have to all been replaced and half don't work now after another year of use. Part of the reason I'm not using it much now....

When is this new pad kit coming?
OP-1, RYTM, A4, CS-50, PUSH

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:15 am

I seriously had no issues with my blue MPC1000s pads... I just sold it. I used it for 2 years and someone used it for awhile before me.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

megawatt

Post by megawatt » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:54 pm

The new pad kit looks awesome - I'd given up but now I'm going to get the upgrade.

I love the fact that Akai finally fixed this issue.

xibalba

Post by xibalba » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:16 pm

you could always go a backassward and get a mpd 24 control pad and just midi that up. but holy gramcraker shanps i cant wait for the upgrade

megawatt

Post by megawatt » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:16 pm

xibalba wrote:you could always go a backassward and get a mpd 24 control pad and just midi that up. but holy gramcraker shanps i cant wait for the upgrade

no thanks :D

defeats the whole genius of the MPC1000. I still believe that a MPC + a record player/sample source is a great way of making a career. Add a Emu-/Rompler for a rocksolid affordable hip-hop set up.

I'm looking forward to the install project. My 1000 was the first synth I ever opened up and tried to fix myself (there's a lot of good pad fix info with pics on the MPC forum) - but I ended up doing the aluminum foil trick which is really only temporary. It worked great for awhile. I'm not saying that all units will fail as many blue mpc users are happy however there's a wealth of evidence and now actions that speak to the issue.

I was just going to send it in to Forat (who have repaired it for me in the past) but thanks to the upgrade (which looks to be available now!?)
I'll have a whole new set. Wish it was cheaper and that they had designed it right in the first place.

It's like the millennium falcon of drum-machines (held together by tape and kicking a*s)