Casio FZ1

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Casio FZ1

Post by tom Cadillac » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:02 am

I'v just acquired one of these and from my initial experience I'm absolutely rapt. Not just a sampler - so many ways to create your own sounds - sine synthesis, hand drawing etc and really from my initial reading of the manual it has vast possibilities. Anyone out there with experience of one of these? Are they rare? I think every synthesist should have one. It seems quite a unique machine.
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

dracena
Gear: 2cabinet 100m,Source, MS20, sh09, JP8, OB8,OBSX,106,Performer,DX7, DX21,FB01,CZ101,Maestro, MC4,
909,707,626,Drumtraks,dr110,kpr77

Post by dracena » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:26 am

In the early 90s i had two of them at the same time, one with 1mb and one fully expanded to 2mb. A friend of mine had an akai s950 and it was so much better that i soon sold one and bought akai too. Disc drive on second one died soon and i sold it for peanuts.

I'll admit that i never tried it's synthesis capabilities but never liked it as a sampler much - i hear a few people like it so i guess this is just my oppinion.

gs

Post by gs » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:50 pm

My DSS1 has sine wave additive synthesis and waveform drawing as well, though I'm not sure if the FZ1 has analog filters like the Korg. In any case the synthesis possibilities on these old samplers are quite vast and flexible for the time. I love the DSS just for synthesizing on, and I'm sure the FZ would be a great alternative for that, as would the SCI Pro2000 or Emu Emax.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

yburn

Post by yburn » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:59 pm

The FZ and DSS are basically synths that can play back short samples. The Akai's were much simpler and basically used as Romplers, personally I thought they were boring as h**l. They actually sold well because they had a large multisampled library and they had so few features/ synthesis they were easier to use than anything else. The FZ is a bargain and a proper synth, it'll never do a decent multisampled piano but it can do so much more.
Q, Pulse, MW1, CS60, MEK,

dracena
Gear: 2cabinet 100m,Source, MS20, sh09, JP8, OB8,OBSX,106,Performer,DX7, DX21,FB01,CZ101,Maestro, MC4,

Post by dracena » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:36 pm

gs wrote:I'm not sure if the FZ1 has analog filters like the Korg.
FZ has digital filters.

@ gs: I think it was you that posted demo of dss-1 on KSS forum some months ago (can't find the link right now). They sounded very impessive!

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:47 pm

I was helping my friend clean his loft because we're building a recording studio ... I found one of these sitting on top of an upright piano ... covered in dust. Gave it a good cleaning and even though the top and bottom aren't held together .. the inside is spotless.

It turns on, but the backlight is out and you have to stand a perfect 90 degrees to see the screen... bit annoying. Fiddle with the internal waves a bit. Funky casio interface once again .. but doesn't seem as bad as the VZ10m.

I'd love to hear some sound examples of this thing to see if it's worth my time.

dracena

Post by dracena » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:50 pm

dracena wrote: @ gs: I think it was you that posted demo of dss-1 on KSS forum some months ago (can't find the link right now). They sounded very impessive!
here's the link:
http://glenstegner.com/dss1/home.html ---> sound demos

i relly like those domos. the filter is really strong . :shock:

gs

Post by gs » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:31 pm

dracena wrote:here's the link:
http://glenstegner.com/dss1/home.html ---> sound demos

i relly like those demos. the filter is really strong . :shock:
Thanks! I had a lot of fun recording them.

The filter is Korg custom NJM-2069. It's their best filter design IMHO, if only the Trident or Polysix had it. It would be nice to hear real VCOs pumped thru this baby. To my ears it sounds part Moog like and part SSM like. But not like a Curtis filter at all. Very smooth, liquidy and bubbly, not the harsh cutting sound of the Curtis.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:01 pm

this goes in samplers, and you have been here long enough to know that.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

tom Cadillac

Post by tom Cadillac » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:58 pm

Dear Tallowaters, don't know if your comment was aimed at me. But I did say at beginning the FZ1 has much more synthesis options than sampling.

I blame those damn synth designers - just won't keep their designs within the proper bounds. damn enginerrs wanting to innovate and mix things up!
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

polardark

Post by polardark » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:11 am

I agree that the FZ-1 is a synthesizer. If the Kawai K1 is a synth, then the Casio FZ-1 must be one as well.

tom Cadillac

Post by tom Cadillac » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:57 am

Phew!!!!!

A question - would a kenton control freak give me access to lots of groovy ways to control sound in real time, beyond the mod wheel and aftertouch etc parameters? from what i can see the kenton control freak interfaces with any midi synth??? This bit of gear is probably top of my gas list, but don't know how useful it will actually be.

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:21 pm

polardark wrote:I agree that the FZ-1 is a synthesizer. If the Kawai K1 is a synth, then the Casio FZ-1 must be one as well.
All the same, the FZ-1 is primarily a sampler.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian