Cables to use for SP-12 and analog synths?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
drummy
Gear: Univox K-2 Mini-Korg 2
Location: Northfield, Illinois or Milwaukee, Wisconsin (I go back and forth a lot)

Cables to use for SP-12 and analog synths?

Post by drummy » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:43 pm

Hey guys. I have some questions about cables. I plan on getting an SP-12 Turbo and an analog synth with what I believe is a mono output (the Korg MS-20). I believe the SP-12 Turbo has both mono input and output jacks. I have a Yamaha MG10/2 mixer. For the output of the SP, should I use a mono instrument cable into my mixer? If I want to sample into the SP-12, am I supposed to use a Y-cable from the stereo outs of the mixer into the SP because it has a mono 1/4" input? I would planning on using plugs for a dual mono RCA (so I can make them dual 1/4" things to mono 1/4". I did that with my turntables for effects, but the sound quality seems to have lost some oomph to it. Is there a way where the sound doesn't lose its quality? Also, for the analog synths, do I use mono instrument cables? Thanks for any help.

ronmcdonald

Post by ronmcdonald » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:28 pm

Why do you want an SP12 to sample a synthesizer? They have very limited capabilities outside of drum sampling, and only 5 seconds sample time.

SP12's have 8 outputs, some of which are dynamically filtered, some are clean, and some are of varying degrees of low-pass filter.

You should just run a mono 1/4 jack from the output of the synth to the mono input of the SP12. Or, if you want to EQ the synth on the mixer, just send it from a mono AUX output to the sample input.

drummy
Location: Northfield, Illinois or Milwaukee, Wisconsin (I go back and forth a lot)

Post by drummy » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:55 pm

ronmcdonald wrote:Why do you want an SP12 to sample a synthesizer? They have very limited capabilities outside of drum sampling, and only 5 seconds sample time.

SP12's have 8 outputs, some of which are dynamically filtered, some are clean, and some are of varying degrees of low-pass filter.

You should just run a mono 1/4 jack from the output of the synth to the mono input of the SP12. Or, if you want to EQ the synth on the mixer, just send it from a mono AUX output to the sample input.
I don't want to sample my synth into the SP-12 (I want it for drums), they were two different questions. But yeah, I got the AUX part since asking this question here. What cables am I supposd to use though?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:58 am

Just use mono cables for everything.

Y-cables aren't for summing two signals or for splitting, they're for send/return insert jacks. That's where your lost oomph went.

Mixers don't have stereo on a single TRS jack ever (well 99.9% of the time) so you shouldn't ever plug a Y-cable anywhere in a mixer except an insert.

drummy

Post by drummy » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:05 am

Well, I figured everything out. Thanks for the help.