West End Girl Emulator II sound?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Roberto
Gear: Fairlight CMI Series III|Alesis Fusion|Akai S6000-Z8-MPC1000-MPC500-MPK49|Korg Prophecy|Yamaha DTXpress|Roland SC88VL|Behringer UMA25S|Synsonics
Band: Failed Muso

Post by Roberto » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:57 pm

I don't know how helpful this might be, but we have that exact Emulator II string sound in the Hollow Sun library and have it for free download in the Alesis Fusion format. Sadly, this cannot be converted but it also appears in our VST, Nostalgia, released in conjunction with Zero-G.

I created this brief MP3 of my recreation of West End Girls using the Alesis Fusion....

HERE

obeygiorgio

Post by obeygiorgio » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:12 pm

So... I have a copy of the disk on the way, but in the meantime I was able to use a windows machine with XP and the program EMXP (look it up!) that converts EmuII banks to WAVs.

Here is the wav files of marcato strings (10 samples):
marcato_eii.zip - 0.64MB

Here is a quick test I did with it, play PSB's West End Girls:
emuii_marcato_psb.mp3 - 0.92MB

Gothboy
Gear: NordLead 2, Nord Micromodular, Novation Nova, Roland D-50, Alesis QS-6, Roland D-2, Yamaha A-3000
Band: Dymaxion Vehicle

Post by Gothboy » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:45 pm

Very nice of you! Sounds very close to the original.....but just slightly cleaner I think. I just love that sound and consider it to be quite possibly the ultimate pad. I'll be loading it into my sampler. :wink:
Do you know any links that I can get any EmuII banks?

obeygiorgio

Post by obeygiorgio » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:17 pm

Cool... Ive got about 700 EmuII banks, starting to convert to WAVs.
Unfortunately though, in Ableton Lives sampler which I use it doesn't automatch pitch. I need a cheap or free app to automap em.

You heard of this?
http://www.redmatica.com/Redmatica/Keymap_One_1.5.html

mannloon

Post by mannloon » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:11 pm

I have a decent sized pile of EMAX II discs, I'm not sure if any are great, or possibly updated version or carry overs from Emulator II or III but I'll pull them out if anyone thinks they are worth converting if possible.

mannloon

Post by mannloon » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:13 pm

Gothboy wrote:Very nice of you! Sounds very close to the original.....but just slightly cleaner I think. I just love that sound and consider it to be quite possibly the ultimate pad. I'll be loading it into my sampler. :wink:
Do you know any links that I can get any EmuII banks?
I loaded that sound into my EMAX II and the first note I hit, it sounded crazy familiar, I believe that sound was used on the track Christine by OMD on the album Liberator.

obeygiorgio

Post by obeygiorgio » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:53 pm

Cool... definitely interested in those banks. I am running XP within Leopard on my Mac Pro now so I am in the process of converting 600+ banks of the Emu II sounds. Using a free app called EMXP for this. Wish it was automated!!!

However, I just got Keymap, so mapping these into logic banks should not be too hard (that part is automatable at least).

I will give the OMD track a listen. Its been a while but OMD is one of my favs.