Casio SK-1

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Inyso
No Longer Registered

Casio SK-1

Post by Inyso » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:11 am

This looks like fun enough to be worth the price (which isn't saying much, but still.) I also hear that it's something of a circuit-bender's holy grail. Has anyone here tried one of these out?

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:20 am

its a toy....its a fun toy to mess with and is perfect for circuit bend becuase of the sampling ablity and built in drum patterns it has.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Inyso
No Longer Registered

Post by Inyso » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:37 am

I think I might get one... I mean it sounds like a pretty cool toy, and $30 isn't much to lose.

konvert

Post by konvert » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:39 am

I have Casio SK-100 and it's a cool toy. Nothing more.
But for circuit-bending, it indeed is a holy grail of some sort.
Vermona DRM1 mk2, Casio CZ-1000, MaM VF-11, Boss PC-2, Korg Minipops Junior

salwa

Post by salwa » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:18 am

It's more than a sampling toy IMO. It has a nice lo-fi piano (later models have different and worse one) and if you choose 'flute' preset with portamento and set it to solo mode, you have great theremin-like sound (which is always in tune :) )
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:26 am

If it's not too much more (i dont' check the prices, I got mine via thrift stores) I strongly suggest going for the SK-1. There a few key differences though. With the SK-5 you gain way more sampling power. In fact it takes up to 4 samples at a time and remembers then when you turn it off. The four samples can be tuned (against a built-in note, no less!) and played from rather nice feeling drum pads as well as from the keyboard.

However the SK-5 loses the GREAT SK-1 beats, which are very lo-fi/8bit if you are into that. It's not that the SK-5 beats aren't good, but they aren't as good. The 1's built-in voices are better too. The 5's voices are fun at first, but the voices on the 1 stay fun longer.

It's like this:

SK-1 = character
SK-5 = function

I like them both and rather keep at least one of each around.

(oh yeah, SK-5 does sample reverse and doesn't pop when it loops)
so what do I put down here now?

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:18 am

SK-1 is to synthesizers what PixelVision is to videocameras.

i still have mine in my studio, the same one i got from the great music store (Macy*s) when i was a yute. if i remember, they were a pretty price-y, hot xmas toy, like $100 or $150 dollars, but they gave us a taste of sampling and certain synthesis fundamentals. plus, when you farted into the mic, you needed only press a button to have that fart incorporated into a song. brilliant, in short.

used by Portishead right along with a Minimoog in there stellar Roseland New York performance and by Aphex Twin on the drukqs album.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:48 pm

yamaha vss-30 trumps the sk-1s sorry a*s any day of the week. i still love my vss 30. it sits above my fizmo, hard wired to my dan echo.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Inyso
No Longer Registered

Post by Inyso » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:29 pm

Tyler2000 wrote:If it's not too much more (i dont' check the prices, I got mine via thrift stores) I strongly suggest going for the SK-1. There a few key differences though. With the SK-5 you gain way more sampling power. In fact it takes up to 4 samples at a time and remembers then when you turn it off. The four samples can be tuned (against a built-in note, no less!) and played from rather nice feeling drum pads as well as from the keyboard.

However the SK-5 loses the GREAT SK-1 beats, which are very lo-fi/8bit if you are into that. It's not that the SK-5 beats aren't good, but they aren't as good. The 1's built-in voices are better too. The 5's voices are fun at first, but the voices on the 1 stay fun longer.

It's like this:

SK-1 = character
SK-5 = function

I like them both and rather keep at least one of each around.

(oh yeah, SK-5 does sample reverse and doesn't pop when it loops)
I might end up getting both, since they're so f**k cheap. :)

I'll also check out that Yamaha that tallowwaters mentioned.

DX

Post by DX » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:52 am

I have got one of these but I am not sure If I lend to someone or it is stored somewhere in my house.

It is a toy, sampler is very cheese, but there are some nice sounds, altought lo fi, really interesting.

I will search it in my home. I want to power it up again.
If you find one of these cheap, buy it.
Roland Promars, E-mu EMAX and some other machines...

Inyso
No Longer Registered

Post by Inyso » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:47 am

Now I'm thinking I'll just put it on my Christmas list and make other people buy it for me. :twisted:

Dlroto

Post by Dlroto » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:43 am

I had a sk1 growing up and I regret breaking it, i may pick one up one day.
YAMAHA V50

Architecture
Gear: TR909, TR808 Dot Com, Moog LP. x0xb0x, Andromeda A6, AX60, SQ80, EPS, DSI PEK Pot Edition, ASR10, Juno 60.
Band: Architecture!

Post by Architecture » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:14 am

I got one, and i must say, those things sound dirty as what! Im definitely going to need to sit down with mine and make something with it! I got mine for free to boot from my friends girlfriend!

michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

Post by michael stein » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:51 pm

Dont forget to look for the concertmate 500 as well. It is an sk-1 replica that was sold by radioshack. My avatar is mine circuitbent. Great fun. Toy=occupies hours of your time and you typically don't get anything accomplished. Great for parties.

Five

Post by Five » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:07 pm

michael stein wrote:Dont forget to look for the concertmate 500 as well. It is an sk-1 replica that was sold by radioshack. My avatar is mine circuitbent. Great fun. Toy=occupies hours of your time and you typically don't get anything accomplished. Great for parties.
T-T-T-TURBO