Drum Breaks

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:21 am

you know, a long time ago, i actually found a distorted reality cd at goodwill before i even knew what sample libraries really were.

anyhow, i took the white trash beat and dropped it in a keyboard sampler and triggered the original pitch and an octave lower. coolest break i ever made.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:17 am

Why don't you just program your own breaks? What's cool about sampling other peoples stuff?

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:17 am

got a drum machine, make your own......

or dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig in crates of records.....dont buy records from a record store......2nd hand stores, garage sales, or free records that shops set out.

I wont pay over a dollar for a record if I am only looking for samples on it....I am cheap f**k though

but a cheap set of drums...record yourself playing them for hours at a time....you will go back and find something worth while..
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

m03

Post by m03 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:17 am

There's a few decent one's here:

http://ihatebreakcore.com/modules.php?n ... oad&cid=22

Unfortunately, some of the sample packs have corrupted files, and others have files set at various bit rates, so you may want to import them all into a sample editor and normalize them to the same bit rate before trying to work with them.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:41 am

thestreets wrote: So JS when you take these hits, do you have to EQ stuff out thats on top of it? Or do you just find a single hit?
Well, for bassdrums...I can use a low pass filter like one built in on MPCs... snares are a pain since there is generally a hat or cymbal on top...but I've still used them anyway. However, generally speaking...I use drum machine samples. I've also used samples from Native Instruments Battery libraries. These days it is all MD.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:44 pm

thestreets wrote:Thanks for all the input...even the libraries...they give me an idea of whats out there.

So JS when you take these hits, do you have to EQ stuff out thats on top of it? Or do you just find a single hit?
There is a couple of programs that really simplify this. The big one of course is recycle. I use it ALL the time for chopping up breaks into components and then just dump to my sampler. It even generates a midi file so you can play back the phrase in time via sequencer. The other one is a VST plugin called phatmatik pro which has the added benefits of of a real sampler (envs, filters, even some processors for the slices)

thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:15 pm

Can you auto-slice with recycle, like you can on one of the more expensive MPCs?

megawatt

Post by megawatt » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:27 pm

thestreets wrote:Can you auto-slice with recycle, like you can on one of the more expensive MPCs?
That's what recycle does! Enjoy!

Also the new drumtracks in Live7.
The MPC1000 can Autochop now (not sure about the 500)
The MC808,909 autochops.
Vynth can chop

It's also good practice to just do it yourself too in any editor. You can chop by the transients or by dividing the sample into equal parts (this can sometime lead to keeping the original "swing" of a breakbeat.) There are no rules though.

If you do want drums from a sample - "breaks" are used because they are the drum solo section of a song and therefore easier to use in an original composition without all that music on top.

Half the fun is the layered sound of the samples.
OP-1, RYTM, A4, CS-50, PUSH

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:50 pm

megawatt wrote:
thestreets wrote:Can you auto-slice with recycle, like you can on one of the more expensive MPCs?
That's what recycle does! Enjoy!

I believe it was the first of it's kind... :?
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:51 pm

It actually does alot more than just autoslice since it will create time sync'd, sliced files (REX files) which can be played backed natively or it will slice and create a midi map of the original sound file for use in any sampler

kk994

Post by kk994 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:58 am

Loads of classic breaks...

http://www.junglebreaks.co.uk/

great stuff :)

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:24 am

I dont think the 500 can auto-slice which im bummed about. But I've said it before, I'm used to manually chopping on my ESX. I've been collecting samples I'd like to work with. Some of them I can separate out via start/stop times, but others are more difficult.

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:05 am

alright, just got Recycle.

Only problem...how do i record (for Sampling) into my computer? I have an interface. what do i do once i plug into it? I probly need a program to record into right?

Edit:

Wait...once i get my MPC...I could sample into that...save it to a CF card, then put it in my card reader and load it into recycle that way. Or is there way to eliminate the MPC middle man?

fuckrapsputin

Post by fuckrapsputin » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:21 am

Do you use recording software? Cubase or what ever for example... put the line out from your record player or amp or cd player or what ever into the line in on your interface... load your software and bam hit record...

That is assuming you use software to record on your computer... do you?
gear: Barry Manilow's Greatest Hits

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:30 am

sweet :) i've never ever used pre-made beats (well, the CR-68...), and spent counless hours trying to sequence them with my electribes, but it's very ahrd work, and there are types of breaks I just can't seem to make properly (Amen-break, squarepusher-stuff etc), and now that i've got an MC808, I can actually just download stuff and import them directly to my 808 via usb (atleast, that's how I think it works) :)

To me, i take some pride in making sure my stuff sounds like me, and noone else, so if I am to use whole-break-samples (amen etc), i find it very important to try and f**k up the sound a bit so that it sounds less standard. the Amen break sound awesome tho, probably won't f**k that one up too much :) My fave use of the amen-break is Vic Acid by Squarepusher, I love how it's cut, chopped and re-sequenced to make a whole new beat, but with those familiar sounds :)

oh, and tallowwaters: cutting out stuff from old jams sounds like a good idea, now I just need a drummer :)