Drum Breaks

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:14 pm

Yeahhhh....see thats the thing i don't have any recording software. Can I download a demo of one for free and just use that? I don't want to have to pay a bunch of money for a program.

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:34 pm

Alright so I have a program called goldwave that I sometimes use for editing. I think I can record into it. If not, I'll just get audacity or something cheap (Edit: free) like that. All I need is the file of the sample....

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:42 pm

Word....audacity works. Now I'm gonna be like one of the japanese chefs that cooks right in front of you, except instead of dicing meat im gonna be working with samples.

m03

Post by m03 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:28 pm

thestreets wrote:Alright so I have a program called goldwave that I sometimes use for editing. I think I can record into it. If not, I'll just get audacity or something cheap (Edit: free) like that. All I need is the file of the sample....
Renoise has a nifty sample editor built in, besides the fact that it's a full blown sequencer and has a decent selection of integrated effects.

Oh, and it's only $80 US.

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:37 am

Alrighty so...

Been working with some samples in recycle. Mostly piano stuff because that's what i love. I did two drum breaks, one from a 311 song (you can't beat Chad Sexton's snare drum), and one from the intro of a Billy Joel song.

It's alot of trial and error right now, since I don't have my MPC to see how it sounds.

Does anyone know how to slice the loop up into 9 even samples? I've seen people hit each pad on the mpc and the sample loops as you hit the pads in order. Anyone know how to do that in Recycle...?

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:54 am

thestreets wrote:Alrighty so...

Been working with some samples in recycle. Mostly piano stuff because that's what i love. I did two drum breaks, one from a 311 song (you can't beat Chad Sexton's snare drum), and one from the intro of a Billy Joel song.

It's alot of trial and error right now, since I don't have my MPC to see how it sounds.

Does anyone know how to slice the loop up into 9 even samples? I've seen people hit each pad on the mpc and the sample loops as you hit the pads in order. Anyone know how to do that in Recycle...?
recycle is an editor so it really does not do anything playback wise. Once you export the loop, it will depend on the sampler playing it back and how it is programmed. The whole point of recycle is to import one/two/whatever bars + x amount of beats and then it will slice it up accordingly. You can then play back the loop at whatever speed and it should playback correctly without changing pitch

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:35 am

Oh ok. Well it's definatly useful fo just taking the little pencil and chopping. I don't do loops. Unless i write them. When I'm finished chopping there's vitually no rhythm to it. It's all stabs.

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:47 pm

Wow...chopping samples is really fun. I've been at it for quite a few hours between last night and today (it snowed like a b***h in the northeast last night, so no school for the streets).

Too bad i got no sampler to dump them all in.

Quick question, Can you only store 4 banks of samples at a time in the MPC, and the rest have to be stored on the flash card?

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:54 am

Alright my last question wasn't answered hopefully this one will be...

When you play samples on the MPC (especially instrument samples) does the audio over lap when you hit the pads? So say if you have a chopped sample and the hits run for a few seconds each, will the sustain start to run everything together, or does the sample from a pad cut out when you hit another?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:08 pm

thestreets wrote:Wow...chopping samples is really fun. I've been at it for quite a few hours between last night and today (it snowed like a b***h in the northeast last night, so no school for the streets).

Too bad i got no sampler to dump them all in.

Quick question, Can you only store 4 banks of samples at a time in the MPC, and the rest have to be stored on the flash card?
No, everything is stored on flash cards... then you can load 64 samples into temporary memory. Once you are done messing with those samples...then you save them to the flash card with the sequences and stuff. Well, that is one way...there are a few ways of saving.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:09 pm

thestreets wrote:Alright my last question wasn't answered hopefully this one will be...

When you play samples on the MPC (especially instrument samples) does the audio over lap when you hit the pads? So say if you have a chopped sample and the hits run for a few seconds each, will the sustain start to run everything together, or does the sample from a pad cut out when you hit another?
You can set it up so that the note only sounds when you press the pad...or so the sample plays all the way through.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad