Want to know more about the Ensoniq EPS 16+?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:56 am

I picked up an EPS v cheap and in lovely condition. Don't know how much more you get with a 16+, but anyway I think its wonderful. Its so easy to use - loops so easily. And I can get both interesting percusiion samples with a mic and sounds from other synths seem to turn into this characteristic warped organ sound on it. Which I'v used a lot. Its got the same keyboard (I think) as the SQ80, which is v disctinctive to play. Sure its limited - but it says 'performance sampler' on it. Which is exactly what it is - a great keyboard for playing.

I'v got another keyboard sampler from this era - a casio FZ1. Yummy. Want more. But don't really like Rolands....
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

analogcontrolfreak
Gear: Arturia Microbrute
ARP Omni partialy works

Post by analogcontrolfreak » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:14 am

Thanks, for the info guys, I really appericate it.

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:24 am

As a former EPS and ASR-10 owner, that heat sink is a b***h. Ensoniq samplers were known for crashing due to overheating, especially if it gets hot where you are during the Summer. Get a small fan or D.I.Y. out of an old computer fan and have it point to/mount on the heatsink, it'll help things go more stable on your Ensoniq.

desdinova

Post by desdinova » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:42 pm

elsongs wrote:that heat sink is a b***h.
Ultimate truth. You also want to make sure that the keyboard fault has already been repaired OR it is blessed by some ancient god, because if it's not, you're going to have, at least, calibration issues.
Not to disuede anyone, they're minor niggles that scar an otherwise amazing instrument.
rerum concordia discors | genre: wankery

rockmanrock

Post by rockmanrock » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:56 pm

Just to add to the positive vibes.. My first one cost me 1000 pounds and was worth every penny. They're now stupidly cheap, I got a back-up one a year or so back with the flash RAM and SCSI interface for under 100 quid.

One of my favourite features aside from all the cool stuff already mentioned was the 'synthesied loop', feed it any sound and it will mash it up into something which loops.

The ASR10 and ASR-X are better resamplers though.

piRoN
Gear: A fair bit.

Post by piRoN » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:16 pm

Don't forget the non-realtime compressor either. Great fun to be had squeezing the s**t out of drum loops with it, instant breakbeat action for those so inclined.
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11

SfS_JD

Post by SfS_JD » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:15 am

In my last performing band(1990 - 1997), I used an Ensoniq EPS and a VFX-SD, along with a rack-mounted Kurz PX1000 and an Alesis D-4 drum module. We were a sequenced 3-piece band and the EPS was the sequencer, along with being my primary controller. It even ran our midi-controlled lights! What an awesome sampler/keyboard! I still believe the EPS had the best hardware sequencer ever built. Sure, it only had 8 tracks but by using the song tracks and being creative, there isn't much you couldn't do. I did a lot of my own sampling with it back then too, cause it was so darn easy. The only thing it was lacking was the ability to change tempo globally in a sequence, which would have come in handy sometimes in a live band.

Ensoniq was a great company back then and the EPS was an excellent machine. I later got an EPS 16Plus but honestly, I prefered the original EPS. I knew that thing so well inside and out, I felt completely comfortable with it in any live situation. Ah, they don't make them like that anymore...

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Post by diezdiazgiant » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:20 am

i think hoax just sold me on buying a fun new toy...
blunted daydreaming

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:01 am

diezdiazgiant wrote:i think hoax just sold me on buying a fun new toy...
yep, thats what he does. he's a true bastard. :wink:
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

analogcontrolfreak
Gear: Arturia Microbrute
ARP Omni partialy works

Re: Want to know more about the Ensoniq EPS 16+?

Post by analogcontrolfreak » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:46 am

Hmm! I did not know this was getting replies still?

Paul

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:40 pm

When I gigged back on '90, i was controlling an EPS from my SHS-10... ok, make fun of me, but i was essentially triggering loops because i cannot play while singing.... I've been a little tempted to pick one up just to see if its as much fun as i remember...

matti
Gear: Korg NX5R, Ensoniq ASR-10, Novation Nova, Casio KX-101, Clavia Nord Rack, Waldorf MicroQ, Roland JV-1080, Yamaha TG77

Post by matti » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:16 am

I'm a current user of an ASR-10 and i love it's effects! It's also been very reliable altho i'm not using it for sampling as much these days. Just as a masterkeyboard and an fx machine. A very cool toy :)

fishermane

Post by fishermane » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:43 am

Amongst other things, I think it's rather excellent for vocal samples (I've always found that it helps to give them a bit of extra life)...

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:41 am

From 1991 to 1999 ALL of my music was recorded within an EPS-16+. If I only could have expanded the memory, I would have used it longer and even more. I loved the thing. It crashed a lot when I first bought it (new), but it seemed to adapt to my usage of it. It was a great device with a lot of unique functionality, and I would endorse it to anyone.
Of course, all of you kids who are used to editing samples on a computer are in for some learnin'. :wink:
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

djalks

Post by djalks » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:45 am

If you want to ear an artist who utilize it, check El-p "Fantastic Damage".
Awesome.