Really basic question about the roland SP404

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
KBD_TRACKER

Really basic question about the roland SP404

Post by KBD_TRACKER » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:13 am

New to sampling.... my question is: once i selected a sample and adjusted soundwise beginning and end of the sample, then to loop it continuously does the SP404 has a feature that automatically makes it a seamless loop, or is it something i must do by ear by continuing to adjust the beginning and end so they "match" ???

Abramelin
Gear: guitar, analog & digital stompbox FXs + Ebow, Nord Micro Modular, Roland SP 404, Alesis Quadraverb 2, Korg Kaossilator :), Korg Mini Kaoss Pad...
Band: Shining Shitbox

Post by Abramelin » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:59 am

hi to all, i got my new Sp 404 two weeks ago, and I understood all... but still have one crucial issue:

I can't find anywhere in the manual, how to make recorded samples do play during the recording of a new sample on unused pad. I play all recorded samples, and when I start to record new sample from external source, all playing samples are stoped - and I can hear only currently recording sample, instead all of them. . this can make this sampler quite useless for live looping situations.

couldn't find anything in manual related to that problem.

any info is more than welcome.

cheers and many thanks!

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:57 pm

so you are wanting to record a sample while the current sample is playing?
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Abramelin
Gear: guitar, analog & digital stompbox FXs + Ebow, Nord Micro Modular, Roland SP 404, Alesis Quadraverb 2, Korg Kaossilator :), Korg Mini Kaoss Pad...

Post by Abramelin » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:17 pm

yes I do.
it's very important for me, 'cause I need a sampler to function like multichannel live looper - I play ambient, drone, dub, noise improvisations live, and I sample guitar, FX, Nord MicroModular, mics, etc...

practically, almost all my gigs are based on that principle.

many thanks for the response guys, and links too...

cheers!

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:21 pm

Unfortunately, I don't think the SP-404 works that way... you may want to look at the repeater...
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

mono/noise

Post by mono/noise » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:52 pm

Have you checked out the new SP-555?

http://www.roland.com/products/en/SP-555/index.html

Seems to fit your requirements .
www.myspace.com/mnoise

Gadgets: Pulse+_Opera 6_Jen SX1000_microKorg
Xbase 09_SK-5_CZ-3000_ESQ-1_Electone A-55_Theremin
Cracklebox_Thingamagoop_Game Boy( LSDJ )_KP3_MPD24
Tascam Porta 07_Multimix 12_Logic Studio_Live 6

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:15 pm

Abramelin wrote:I play all recorded samples, and when I start to record new sample from external source, all playing samples are stopped
That's a, eh, feature of the SP404...you can't record new samples while others are looping.

It's probably not mentioned in the manual but it was mentioned in pretty much every review I've read.

Sorry...
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Abramelin

Post by Abramelin » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:47 am

ah, it sucks then!!! but I got it two weeks ago. can't believe that they built this cool gadget without live looping option. and that was the most important option I required, and I thought that's usual regular option. I was wrong.

SP 555, eh, one day perhaps - not in near future, for sure.

thanks guys, now I know whats under my thumb, so I have to readjust my performances for SP 404 - still I have BOSS DD20 with looping option which I use for guitar.

all the best!!!!!

mono/noise

Post by mono/noise » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:01 am

Abramelin wrote:ah, it sucks then!!! but I got it two weeks ago. can't believe that they built this cool gadget without live looping option. and that was the most important option I required, and I thought that's usual regular option. I was wrong.

SP 555, eh, one day perhaps - not in near future, for sure.

thanks guys, now I know whats under my thumb, so I have to readjust my performances for SP 404 - still I have BOSS DD20 with looping option which I use for guitar.

all the best!!!!!
Unless you bought it used you might be able to return it and upgrade to a SP-555, most stores have a 30 day return policy.
www.myspace.com/mnoise

Gadgets: Pulse+_Opera 6_Jen SX1000_microKorg
Xbase 09_SK-5_CZ-3000_ESQ-1_Electone A-55_Theremin
Cracklebox_Thingamagoop_Game Boy( LSDJ )_KP3_MPD24
Tascam Porta 07_Multimix 12_Logic Studio_Live 6

Abramelin

Post by Abramelin » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:47 pm

ah, unfortunately I'm from Serbia, Eastern Europe, and my bro bought it in NYC. so, I'll buy it when I come to NYC during the fall. until then, I'm doomed just to trigger samples from it.

but I also don't understand it's serious problem.... how could they built a sampler, so you cannot hear previous samples when you're recording a new one? how could I record a melody which is related to my previous samples? what about the song harmony, beats? it's quite impossible to make reasonable song arrangements if you can't hear recorded samples when you play a new one!.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:05 pm

Abramelin wrote: but I also don't understand it's serious problem.... how could they built a sampler, so you cannot hear previous samples when you're recording a new one? how could I record a melody which is related to my previous samples? what about the song harmony, beats? it's quite impossible to make reasonable song arrangements if you can't hear recorded samples when you play a new one!.
Ok well... two popular uses are 1) use it like a sampling drum machine. Basically hit record on the sequencer and then tap the pads in time to make beats. 2) use different loops on different pads, that are in similar BPMs... one loop could be a drum beat, another a bassline, another a synth. Press all three pads in time and they will all play together...and hopefully mesh well.

Abramelin

Post by Abramelin » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:02 am

thanks for advice, JSRockit. I realized that long ago, indeed.

I play guitar, synth, stompbox fxs, and other gadgets, so I'm afraid it's useless for live recording and arranging songs - played melodies on instruments. I cannot play new riff, melody, improvisation, whatever, if I don't hear previous recorded tracks.

I will keep using my computer for recording and arrangements, and I'll export samples from it to SP 404. Than I'll have to use those tracks live, and manipulate with fxs. That's OK. But as a workstation, arranger, it's practically useless.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:56 am

Have you though of using Live and a laptop for this use?

Abramelin

Post by Abramelin » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:12 pm

yea, I know i can... ut, I wanted hardware gadget for that.

anyway, many thanks guys!