Scsi problems

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
westforwishing9

Scsi problems

Post by westforwishing9 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:05 am

I think its more of a problem of me just not understanding what to do. I have a esi-32 with OS 1.04 and am trying to hook up my scsi cd drive. I have the cd drive terminated and set to ID 6. The manual says the emu automatically goes to 5 and cant be changed so it shouldnt be conflicting but when I try to find the drive the EMU doesnt find it with the mount utility on the unit. The scsi utility on the emu has a option called ESI-32 scsi ID which is set to 5 and the mac on chain option which is set to no. Am i missing something?

SfS_JD

Post by SfS_JD » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:00 am

The ESI-32 is by default set to SCSI ID 5, as you stated, but it can be changed (Master/Global, Disk Utilities, 0). However, as long as you have the CDROM drive and the ESI-32 on different ID numbers (and it sounds like you do), it really doesn't matter which numbers they are on. Do you have an internal hard drive in the ESI-32 and if so, could it be causing an ID Number conflict? Also be sure you turn the CDROM drive on first and then turn on the ESI-32. Are you completely sure the CDROM is terminated? Could your SCSI cable be bad?

I hope one of these suggestions helps. If not, feel free to contact me directly for further assistance.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:41 pm

from my understanding not all SCSI units are compatable with each other.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:05 am

Did you ever resolve this?

Got an ESI 4000 with the same problem communicating with an external hard drive reported to be compatible.

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:06 am

I have an ESI-32 as well, and I've found mine to be extremely fussy about SCSI devices. I can wholeheartedly recommend a SCSI for Samplere drive; they're slightly on the pricey side, but I've had no problem with mine whatsoever.
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:34 am

Big Gnome wrote:SCSI for Samplere drive; they're slightly on the pricey side, but I've had no problem with mine whatsoever.
those SCSI card readers are awesome..are they really compatible with those samplers mentioned? which means, just by using one drive, I can use it with all those samplers..or at least with different card for each. Any SCSI turn on and turn off first rule or any hotswapable?
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums