The Akai MPC 5000....its a synth too

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
westforwishing9

Post by westforwishing9 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:00 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
westforwishing9 wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote: When you used the Linndrum, what made you think it was less advanced than an MPC? Or are you basing that opinion on the fact that you saw the mockup hardware of the Linndrum and imagined how the operating system might work?
It just seems like it lacks features that the MPC has like its huge library of sounds that akai has had for years. Other than that I dont know something about it just was lame for me.
.wavs? I believe the Linndrumm will be able to play them too. Sounds like you don't know what you're talking about.
Akai samplers have a format for samples that is proprietary. They aren't just Wav's. Sounds like you don't know what you're talking about.

Dr. Sound

Post by Dr. Sound » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:02 pm

westforwishing9 wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
westforwishing9 wrote: It just seems like it lacks features that the MPC has like its huge library of sounds that akai has had for years. Other than that I dont know something about it just was lame for me.
.wavs? I believe the Linndrumm will be able to play them too. Sounds like you don't know what you're talking about.
Akai samplers have a format for samples that is proprietary. They aren't just Wav's. Sounds like you don't know what you're talking about.
If all were not aware, there is an app named CDXtract which can take any sample ROM from any format and convert it to another format.

For instance, many times I will convert AKAI formatted ROMs into Kontakt .nki programs for easier loading.

MPCs do NOT read AKAI formatted discs - though you can use CDXtract to convert them to MPC format.

There is no reason these guys wont/can't add Linndrum 2 format if the demand is there.

The app has plenty of other formats (NNXT, Halion, Samplecell, etc.) And when I first starting using it, NNXT was not available as an option, as Reason had just came about.
[ + ]

westforwishing9

Post by westforwishing9 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:13 pm

Dr. Sound wrote:
westforwishing9 wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote: .wavs? I believe the Linndrumm will be able to play them too. Sounds like you don't know what you're talking about.
If all were not aware, there is an app named CDXtract which can take any sample ROM from any format and convert it to another format.

For instance, many times I will convert AKAI formatted ROMs into Kontakt .nki programs for easier loading.

MPCs do NOT read AKAI formatted discs - though you can use CDXtract to convert them to MPC format.

There is no reason these guys wont/can't add Linndrum 2 format if the demand is there.

The app has plenty of other formats (NNXT, Halion, Samplecell, etc.) And when I first starting using it, NNXT was not available as an option, as Reason had just came about.
MPC's use akai. Thats there sample format as long as you have the cdrom on it?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:43 am

westforwishing9 wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
westforwishing9 wrote: It just seems like it lacks features that the MPC has like its huge library of sounds that akai has had for years. Other than that I dont know something about it just was lame for me.
:lol:

Every MPC that's come out since the 2000XL uses .wavs as its internal sample format. There's a .pgm file that tells the MPC how to arrange the .wavs in the sampler, but the actual sample files can be played back in anything that plays .wav.

Older MPC formatted samples need to be converted to be used in any of the MPCs available new today. Same with old Akai multisamples, but the 4000 is the only MPC that plays multisamples anyway.

Anyway it doesn't really matter to me wether you'd prefer an MPC to a Linndrum II, I was just wondering if there was a logical reason for it.

westforwishing9

Post by westforwishing9 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:50 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
westforwishing9 wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote: .wavs? I believe the Linndrumm will be able to play them too. Sounds like you don't know what you're talking about.
:lol:

Every MPC that's come out since the 2000XL uses .wavs as its internal sample format. There's a .pgm file that tells the MPC how to arrange the .wavs in the sampler, but the actual sample files can be played back in anything that plays .wav.

Older MPC formatted samples need to be converted to be used in any of the MPCs available new today. Same with old Akai multisamples, but the 4000 is the only MPC that plays multisamples anyway.

Anyway it doesn't really matter to me wether you'd prefer an MPC to a Linndrum II, I was just wondering if there was a logical reason for it.
well neither really fit my style of writing anyway. I wonder how well the linndrum 2 will do anyway.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:58 am

I guess we will see...

Anyway, back to the MPC5000 talk.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:04 pm

I've just watched a few of the MPC5000 NAMM videos and I've got to say that I'd love one for playing live shows!

We stopped using the MPC1000 because getting stuff to sound right was a bit fiddly, setting up the midi chains before shows was annoying and sometimes mistakes were made (drunk mistakes :D) and there were a few parts we'd done on softsynths that really needed to be played back whole rather than chopped and looped. Now we use Live.

The way the q-links work to make the OS easier to navigate looks fantastic, the inbuilt synth (I'm guessing it'll sound a lot like an Ion) would mean a lot of the synth parts could just get played internally, those that we'd done with hardware or specific softsynths that we couldn't recreate could just come from the HD tracks. It looks like it'd be a whole lot tougher than my laptop too, and look a bit cooler on stage. ;)

Maybe I'm just gassing for and it'll pass, but it looks really rad. I know a lot of people have been saying the price is too much, but from what I've seen the 2500 streets for only US$500 less in the states, the 5000 looks like it's worth the extra cash.

thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:04 am

People seem to be really hating on this thing. It seems ok to me. I've heard a couple people say they are upset thats it's only a phrase sampler rather than a full one.

wildstar
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Virus TI2, PC3K6, Ultra E4XT, Nord Lead 3

Post by wildstar » Fri May 09, 2008 5:07 pm

thestreets wrote:People seem to be really hating on this thing. It seems ok to me. I've heard a couple people say they are upset thats it's only a phrase sampler rather than a full one.
I'm a little late this thread, but I've been digging up information on the 5k. I thought it would be a perfect hardware solution for me, but am also disappointed about the sampling. I've been reading through the PDF manual, and unless I missed something, it sure does seem very limited as a sampler.

Is this something a JJOS might address? True multisampling, keymapping, etc. I'd hate to pay $2500, only to have buy another hardware unit to use as a full-featured sampler, not just a drum/phrase sampler.

Cheers
"Asteroids do not concern me."